• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Sloniger

40 Cal
Reaction score
i have a Pedersoli kit .62 cal smoothie that I’m in the process of finishing. I was planning on Browning the barrel. My brother works for an electroplating company and mentioned that he could do a phosphate finish on the barrel for me. Anybody here every do a muzzleloader barrel in phosphate? I think the slang term is parkerizing.

Thanks, Tom

Well Tom, personally, I would not parkerize a traditional muzzleloader barrel. It certainly isn't what was done "back in the day." To each his own though. It's certainly not needed to get a good rust resisting finish and , IMO, would not look right/good. Might even reduce value as I don't think many traditional gun enthusiasts would like it or want it.

I agree with the spike on this. Parkerizing is good on modern but not really fitting for something old or a reproduction of old.

Thanks for the input guys. My original plans were to brown the barrel. I was talking to my brother about the project and he offered to have It done at the electroplating plant where he works. I kinda figured it was more of a process meant for modern firearms.

I’ll stick with the browning process.

Next question:

What about a surface mounted trigger guard? I was thinking about inletting or partially inletting the trigger gaurd. Second thought was to leave it surface mounted and round the edges a bit or a combination of both.

Thoughts?

Good call. If you boil the barrel in phosphoric acid solution you will also etch the bore.

Be sure the triggers clear the guard after you inlet it. But do it, non inletted guards and side plates look cheap.

Thanks for the input guys. My original plans were to brown the barrel. I was talking to my brother about the project and he offered to have It done at the electroplating plant where he works. I kinda figured it was more of a process meant for modern firearms.

I’ll stick with the browning process.

Next question:

What about a surface mounted trigger guard? I was thinking about inletting or partially inletting the trigger gaurd. Second thought was to leave it surface mounted and round the edges a bit or a combination of both.

Thoughts?
You asked for my thoughts so here they are:

If you leave the trigger guard sitting on the stock it will look like the gun was built by a first time builder who had no idea of how a rifle is supposed to be built. It's the sign of a rank amateur.
The same can be said for the sideplate opposite the lock.

Thanks guys. Yeah I don’t like the guard surface mounted at all. As far as the side plate goes I personally think the dragon or sea monster or whatever it is looks kinda cheesy. I was thinking about eliminating it or making a custom plate.

I’ll probably start a thread so others can follow along if desired. I’ll include pictures and maybe even a couple short video clips.

This is my first ML build but I’ve built many custom longbows and recurves so I have the experience with the wood part anyway

i have a Pedersoli kit .62 cal smoothie that I’m in the process of finishing. I was planning on Browning the barrel. My brother works for an electroplating company and mentioned that he could do a phosphate finish on the barrel for me. Anybody here every do a muzzleloader barrel in phosphate? I think the slang term is parkerizing.

Thanks, Tom
On the trigger guard, if a trade gun type, all the trigger guards I have seen on trade guns were surface mounted.

Yeah Chuck, it’s a trade gun kit.
I will thumb through my book for trade and treaty and look at the pictures again, I am working on a trade gun from a blank and going to surface mount it. I did one from a kit years ago and inlet the guard, just did not look right to me.

I will thumb through my book for trade and treaty and look at the pictures again, I am working on a trade gun from a blank and going to surface mount it. I did one from a kit years ago and inlet the guard, just did not look right to me.
Looks to me like, (on the clear pictures) the guards are surface mounted.

Looks to me like, (on the clear pictures) the guards are surface mounted.

Most pictures I looked at the trade guns have a surface mounted gaurd. I don’t think I can inlet the guard without increasing the existing inlet of the trigger guide. The kit I’m working with is a Pedersoli Indian trade Musket. IMO the lock, barrel and stock are very well built. The guard and side plate are kinda cheap looking.

Thanks Pete. I still might inlet the gaurd just for comfort and a bit of looks. Not sure yet what I’m going to do for the side plate if anything. Might just use counter sink washers or might add a custom ingraved side plate.

Many sideplates are only partially inlet, and locks are beveled with a portion of them standing proud to the wood. Many older styles (Miquolets, Snap haunces, Match locks, etc.) have TG's that are surface mounted, even with very fine finishing and workmanship otherwise. It's all about what is HC/PC correct for your gun.

I personally just don't care for the general look of a Trade gun, so haven't built one. Reason; If I'm going to spend all the time it takes in building a gun, I want it to be as fine and delicate looking as I can make it, so a Trade gun just doesn't fit in to that sort of a build. The time it takes to do the basics (barrel, lock, BP, MC, pipes, trigger, PB, sideplate) is the same for a fine gun as a more utilitarian one.

I did not realize that we were talking about a trade gun, they usually are surface mount...
When I made my comment about trigger guards, I also did not know we were talking about a trade gun. :confused:
I thought we were talking about a long rifle.

You asked for my thoughts so here they are:

If you leave the trigger guard sitting on the stock it will look like the gun was built by a first time builder who had no idea of how a rifle is supposed to be built. It's the sign of a rank amateur.
The same can be said for the sideplate opposite the lock.
Only point was some side plates and trigger guards were made with beveled edges. It’s inlet to the start of the bevel leaving a bit of brass above the wood.

Latest posts

Back