Barrel crud

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have discovered that in several used rifles I have purchased, after shooting them and cleaning them, I have discovered that a dry patch down the bore will bring up brown crud the next day. So I clean again and use a brush till the patch comes out clean. The next day, brown crud appears in the barrel. I reclean using 0000 steel wool and again a day later, brown crud appears. This is not light brown thin stuff, but heavy thick dark brown crud. It seams to be in the area of the barrel, starting at the nipple for a length of about 6 to 8 inches.
I believe that this is packed hardened BP residue. What modern miracle can be used to get all of this stuff outta my barrel please?

deermanok

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a small hand held steam cleaner that I use from time to time on my rifles. It does a nice job loosening up the crud buildup.
Got mine on Ebay for about 30 bucks.

Grimord

Fyrstyk
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Plug the nipple, and pour some Hoppes #9 BP cleaner and patch lube down the barrel so that the liquid level is above the area that has the crud. Let it sit overnight, then drain and scrub the bore with a bronze brush or a jag with a patch of scotch brite cloth on it. Screub well, then clean as you normally would. The Hoppes should loosen up the crud so it can be flushed out.

BadDaditood

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like rust/pitting where the load sits
Bore scope is about the only way to check
Some cheap ones will adjust from 0 to 90 degrees, and connect to your phone’s camera thru Bluetooth

Last edited:

dave951

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If you store the guns muzzle up after cleaning, anything in the barrel at all will find it's way down to the flash channel

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Was listening to some heavy bench shooters and some felt that a flat faced cleaning jag cleaned better than a concave faced cleaning jag. They felt the concave face left more gunk in the bottom of the barrel.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
The old stand by. 1-1-1- Murphy's oil soap, hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol will loosen and remove most "crud". Fill bore and let set until it stops bubbling. Repeat as needed.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
The old stand by. 1-1-1- Murphy's oil soap, hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol will loosen and remove most "crud". Fill bore and let set until it stops bubbling. Repeat as needed.
My mentor use to get old barrels that folks said were said were shot out. He would fill them with MAP, stand the barrel in a plastic bucket and leave them over night. Next morning, bucket would have the nastiest looking brown gunk in it and the barrel would be squeaky clean when rinsed with clean water.

dave951

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was listening to some heavy bench shooters and some felt that a flat faced cleaning jag cleaned better than a concave faced cleaning jag. They felt the concave face left more gunk in the bottom of the barrel.
For cleaning my muskets, I start with a breech face scraper followed by passes with a convex shaped jag. It does work quite well. I tried an original style concave one and it did leave some crud.