• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel channel question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I watched a ton of videos and I have a question when it comes to cutting you barrel channel in. I have seen guys cut it to match the octagon barrel and I seen others just make it round. Does it matter since it won't be seen? Which is historically correct?

Many of the octagonal barrels did NOT have the bottom three flats filed and blued/browned. And the channel left round-bottomed. As Bill mentions above, DO have the very front and rear octagonal to match the barrel.
Gunline, who make checkering tools, also has both round and octagonal barrel channel scrapers in various sizes. Their tools are available through Brownell's, or just look online for them.
If you are not familiar with scrapers, they are flat pieces of tool steel that have been filed on the edge to produce a very small "edge". A lot of builders use scrapers instead of sanding. They are capable of scraping off a lot of wood pretty quickly, if you want them to, or just a minute sliver if you want that. usually leaves a surface that is ready for finishing, and a wood/metal fit that is really tight.

Back