• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel Browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished browning a barrel using Laurel Mountain and I have a beautiful smooth purplish brown finish. I’ve oiled for the last couple days and I continue to have pretty heavy rust stains on the rag. I did use baking soda to stop the reaction and carded lightly with a gray Scotchbrite pad. Should I get more aggressive with the pad or steel wool? I don’t want to ruin this beautiful finish. Thx

Keep it liberally lubed woth motor oil. The rusting process will stop. It sometimes takes a little while.

Try a light coating of grease. It sticks on better than oil.

A piece of coarse cloth like burlap wet with oil can be used to rub it down hard. Then wipe it with your favorite gun oil.

To neutralize the LMF brown ammonia is used....found that baking soda isn't strong enough especially if the brown is thick. My motor oil has seen many dunks of red hot steel but still is what I use after the ammonia. LMF is a "strong" chemical and requires ammonia and a lot of patience to neutralize. .....Fred

Back