• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel / Breach Pug removal tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
The following pictures are of the tool I use as a wrench for removing barrels or breach plugs , It has been in "storage for 13 years and has a bit of rust . The tool was made for me by an engineering mate . It is made out of 1¼" steel machined to have perfectly flat and square surfaces and the holes for the cap screws are precisely aligned , this is to prevent any twisting of the tool when it is securely clamped to a barrel or breach plug , so it wont leave any marks . I usually use it with the barrel securely clamped in a vice with alloy plates to protect the barrel . The tool is clamped on the flats of the breach and the handle turned . I also have a large not very well made Chinese wrench whos jaws tend to close in a V shape , this fits perfectly on the v of the tang . I have only used it 5 times but each time I really needed it. The tool was made out of scrap and cost me about $20 . Once I took a barrel apart and drove out a very stuck steel ball puller without any damage to the barrel , it paid for itself in that moment . P1020079.JPGP1020081.JPG

Thats a nicely made tool. Thanks for the pics, gives me some ideas as I get a bit more serious in this hobby.

The following pictures are of the tool I use as a wrench for removing barrels or breach plugs , It has been in "storage for 13 years and has a bit of rust . The tool was made for me by an engineering mate . It is made out of 1¼" steel machined to have perfectly flat and square surfaces and the holes for the cap screws are precisely aligned , this is to prevent any twisting of the tool when it is securely clamped to a barrel or breach plug , so it wont leave any marks . I usually use it with the barrel securely clamped in a vice with alloy plates to protect the barrel . The tool is clamped on the flats of the breach and the handle turned . I also have a large not very well made Chinese wrench whos jaws tend to close in a V shape , this fits perfectly on the v of the tang . I have only used it 5 times but each time I really needed it. The tool was made out of scrap and cost me about $20 . Once I took a barrel apart and drove out a very stuck steel ball puller without any damage to the barrel , it paid for itself in that moment .View attachment 117775View attachment 117776
Similar to mine Made it in 79 but mine was made from one piece and vise at same time .

Back