• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barlow knifes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
The Barlow knife has been around for several centuries from what I've read. George Washington carried one I believe.It was either Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn who referred to it as a " jenuine barlow". I've heard it was a Barlow that General Forrest used to defend himself against Lt. Gould. So it appears this knife has been around for a long time. I use a bone handled one as a patch knife. How common was this knife a century and a half ago? Were they carried by the common man?

Good question.

I have another for folks with older models. Is the spring stronger on old ones? I've owned and carried several over the last 30 years or so and tried to use them for work. But I've had hand injuries ranging up to stitches on the backs of my fingers when the blade closed easily onto my hand at the wrong moment. The stitches came while castrating and dehorning at one of our brandings. A calf tossed it's head as I dehorned and the blade closed onto my fingers. But for my gloves I might have lost a hunk-o-finger. No similar problems with other makes of knives without locking blades.

I've heard of that closing on you thing and had that kind of happen to me too. Thank God for leather gloves. Surely even back then the Barlow company would have gotten somekind of feedback about that being the weakness of that particular knife.
But they did hold a pretty good edge though.

The Barlow knife has been around for several centuries from what I've read.
I've collected several references to Barlow knives from the 18th century, mostly pen knives. The earliest is 1759.

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
November 29, 1759
Just imported in the last Ships from London and Bristol,… ivory combs, buck, shambuck and split bone table knives and forks, Hoole pistol cap knives, cutteaus, Barlow penknives, buck cap and burnt bone knives, razors, taylors shears,"

This one from 1767 is interesting:

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
June 4, 1767
Imported, and to be sold reasonably for cash, by JOHN DRINKER,… razors, scissars, cutteau and pistol end knives, Barlow common and best melted steel penknives, sham buck, bone and stag handle table knives and forks,"

Spence

Not that familiar with the term " melted steel penknives". There were differant grades? I guess I always got a hold of the common variety.

Not that familiar with the term " melted steel penknives". There were differant grades? I guess I always got a hold of the common variety.

This term melted steel refers how the steel was produced (melted and cast), rather than hand forged, or mill rolled.

The term "pen knives" originally refers to small knives carried for the purpose of trimming quill feathers to shape the split nib pen for writing.

I'm no blacksmith but wouldnt melting the steel distemper it in some way?And these were cheap knives wouldn't that add to the expense. I think one of Mark Twains characters referred to it as a 12 1/2 cent barlow.

Frankly, you shouldn't be using any knife in such a way that it would close up on your fingers, no matter how strong the backspring was or wasn't. As far as weak springs, there have been zillions of super-cheapo "Barlow" knives produced throughout the last century. Really cheezy knives, with stamped sheet metal handles and bolsters, etc. Pretty crappy all the way around.

The familiar "bag shape" handle seems to have come about in the mid 19th century. Before then, the handles had a "ball butt" sort of shape. Bolsters are T H I N and forged integrally with the liners. Handle scales would be horn, antler, or bone. Nail nicks seem to have begun to be put in the blades in the 1790's. Prior to that, the blades were broad, and you pinched them with your fingers to open them (better than a nail nick anyway). Unfortunately, NO ONE makes anything even remotely resembling an 18th century (or even a 19th century) Barlow knife today.

These photos are stolen from the interwebs, and are NOT mine.
DSC02298.jpg

DSC02304.jpg

M1676-P1.jpg

M1676-P2.jpg
These above are VERY typical 18th century Barlow knives. The remains of knives of this general form are found in large numbers in colonial American archaeological sites.

This is an early 19th century Barlow knife, with a nail nick.
barlow2.jpg

From "Joseph Smith's Key to Manufactories of Sheffield", 1816
0e70029b.jpg

I do not know the date of this two-blade Barlow knife. It's obviously old, and still has thin forged bolsters. I'm assuming maybe mid 19th century.
barlow-2.jpg

I did not know there were 2 bladed barlows back then. Mine is but its not that old ,I really don't know its age It was my uncles.

I did not know there were 2 bladed barlows back then.
"THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAZETTE; AND COUNTRY JOURNAL
June 23, 1767
GEORGE WOOD, STATIONER and BOOKBINDER in Elliott-street; HAS just imported in the last Vessels from London,… Barlow's best double and single folding Penknives, ..."

Spence

Several companies made what was called a Barlow but wasnt there an actual Barlow compamy? Which brings up this question, Is Barlow a style or a name brand?

It was the name of a knife making family in England. So popular, the name came to mean a knife of that style made by any other maker. And by the mid 19th century, there were plenty of other makers.

I would offer that melted steel may have been used as a synonym for cast steel, which is crucible steel. I would refer you to Spence's post that stated the offering "of Barlow's common and best melted steel".

I'm guessing there were lots and lots of them made. Where are they now? I wish I could come across a few of them. Even the "cheapos" we used to buy for a dollar or two are almost collecters items now.

Latest posts

Back