• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barking Squirrels and Purring Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyageur

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've only done this three times...once in a tree and twice on the ground. It seems to me that this was once the way to take squirrels. It's not as much fun as stalking grouse, playing hide and seek through the woods and moving slowly so that they don't fly, but it comes in a close 2nd.

Voyageur

I barked a few squirrels before...
smile.gif

Come to think of it, I barked a few trees too...
grin.gif

A sure fire way to take grouse is to shoot the second one... (they allways group)

I'm usually clutching my chest trying to restart my heart after the first one blast aloft inches from my feet...

Now I'm going to look real dumb but I have to ask how does one go about "barking" a squirrel on the ground?

This doesn't apply to Musketman because I know when he's shooting a .75 at the ground there is a massive explosion of rocks, sand and dirt which would kill any squirrel within a 10 foot radius. It still does beg the question ie isn't that better described as "dirting"?

I've head-shot a kazillion squirrels with my muzzleloaders but I've never barked one. I suppose that I ought to try it sometime if I ever get back to decent squirrel hunting country.

Now, as to grouse, I never gave that any thought!! Up here in Northern Minnesota there are plenty of grouse: Ruffed, Sharptails, Spruce, but with the exception of Sharptails the hunt lacks much sport. Ruffed grouse mosey for their lives when they see a hunter, or else come over and see what's up. Spruce grouse just sit and look around like nothing is registering, or has ever registered. Sharptails flush at 100 yards and fly a half mile or so before coming down.

I might have to try the Ruffed grouse w/muzzleloader next year. It sure isn't any sport with a shotgun.

quote:Originally posted by Haggis:
Ruffed grouse mosey for their lives when they see a hunter, or else come over and see what's up.So you're saying that Northern Minnesota has lysergic ruffed grouse?

Must be fat from all of that good Minnesotan corn...

Here in Ohio, ruffs seem to sleep at 60 mph...
shocked.gif

They zig-zag at full flight about three feet off the ground, what a rush...

Up here we have Franklin, Ruffed, Blue & out on the plains...Sage.

Anyway, in the woods you just walk at them real slow until they start walking. Now they'll try to keep a tree or bush between you and them. That's what makes it interesting. Head shots only and no fair shooting the ones that are roosting unless it's 25 yards or better offhand.

As far as 'barking' or 'dirting'...you need to shoot just under their head as they lay on the ground to try to kill by concussion.

You do your part, the ball does it's part and the squirrel is part of the dearly departed.
smile.gif

Voyageur

I've barked a couple squirels. Once quite by accident...shot low and hit the limb under it's head. Debris/bark flew up onto the area under the throat and did the job. Tried it on purpose a couple of times..and it will work, but i just can't help but think that if I am close enough to bark one, I might as well as go on and try for a head shot.

I used to walk gravel roads early and late in the day and look for rabbit's out in the road. Long shots can be had by shooting directly at the critter....and if the ball should drop or be shot low, the splattered or flying gravel will usually dispatch said bunny.

Either occasion is reason for"Hasenpfeffer" or "Squirrelenpfeffer".

I have usually shot squiels in the head or in the middle as I do not eat that part anyway... has anyone seen much documentation on "barking' squirrels that would provide any historical bases for this being a common practice in the past?

Hey tg...I 'lifted' this off the web....
smile.gif

> Seriously, folks, does anyone have a decent recipe for squirrel stew? The
> one and only time I ate squirrel stew, it was awful. Two spoonsful were all
> I could get down. It was at an Indian Stomp Dance (Chickasaw tribe) in
> Ardmore, OK, where the Indians prepared a large cast iron cauldron of the
> stew for everyone to sample--along with pashofa (a corn meal gruel) and
> grape dumplings (which were outstanding). The stew was greasy, gamy and
> tough. Given the access to squirrel I have, an edible stew or even roasted
> squirrel recipes would be a way to turn the tree rats into something
> positive. And, the recipes would make a great addition to a NAFEX Road
> and/or Tree Kill Cookbook. I'll volunteer to put a book together, if you
> all will contribute recipes.
> Doreen Howard

Doreen, Here's one my Grandmother passed down in the Great Depression
which she claimed allowed us to survive the War of Northern Imperialism.
She used to complain when my Dad would "head shoot" them.(the only
acceptable way of a rifleman). She and others liked the heads better
than the rest. I can remember them sucking the brains and eyeballs out.
In black powder/round ball days they claimed to "bark squirrels" by
shooting under the bark of a tree hugging squirrel, not at the animal,
and causing the bark to pop up and kill it. Wouldn't damage any meat. I
never could get it to work with smokeless powder/ogived projectiles.
How about just using Hav-A-Hart traps? They capture this size animal
unharmed and allow you to release them where they do their thing away
from your place. *Halfbacker's homes are good sites. *Those who have
moved half-way back from Florida.

Finally, the recipe. (pronounced ree seep by Grandmaw Crawford)
Skin and dress out YOUNG gray squirrels. (Fox squirrels weren't
preferred.) Feed 'em to the hounds or pigs.

Parbroil in biling (boiling)salty water for the time it takes to sing
three verses of "Bringing In The Sheaths" (Maybe two minutes?)
Brown 2 snuff cans (half cup) flour in spider (frying pan)for
eacsquirrel. Add a dash each of salt and pepper per squirrel.
Dredge them when almost dry after cutting them in serving sizes.
Fry in almost smoking lard (I'd suggest Canola oil) 'til tender.
Remove meat, add some water, scrape bottom of spider and cook down while
stirring until thick as cold molasses.(Her's was a little too thick. I
like Mormon/Sawmill/Milk Gravy thickness, more water or milk)
Mix gravy and fried squirrels and serve with hoe cake or biscuits and
grits.

Grandpaw said it was "goodnuf to make your tongue slap your brains out"
or "only thing it needs is eatin'"

My wife always liked squirrel brains and she gave me "THE LOOK" everytime I'd come in with a limber stick strung up with head shot squirrels.

The way we overcame this little impass was that during trapping season I'd set about a dozen conibear traps where they would "accidently" catch squirrels instead of mink.

During trapping season it was no problem to put 50 to 100 squirrels in the freezer though most went straight onto the table.

Our five kids were sure happy when trapping season went out and I'd set in on rabbits for a while.

Looking back 15 years or so I recall many times that my perfect mink set on a small log over a stream produced a few squirrels before the Mink came by. amnd occasionaly the Mink ate the squirrel as he crossed the log.

To avoid the risk of perverting this thread farther I believe I will start one toward the receipe that Voyageur spoke of. Gonna do it under the General interest heading.

I don't mean to get this thread to far off its course so forgive me please.

When looking at a mink/squirrel sets they are at ends of a spectrum; the better the set the fewer none target species one catches. Then again a so-so set will catch as much of one as another. Knowledge of which is which is a good deal for the survivalist/professional trapper; one may put meat on the table on the way to pick up the daily wages.

Lord knows we ate plenty of squirrels, muskrats, beavers, rabbits, 'coons, and about anything I could catch and if I could I'd sell the hide.

There is some speculation that some cases of "Mad Cow Syndrome" in humans was caused by eating squirrel brains.

That can't be right DoLittle...it's against the law to eat a politician.
grin.gif

Seriously though, is there some relation between the squirrel brains and mad cow syndrome? I thought I read somewhere that it was caused by feeding animal parts to cows or somesuch. When I read that I was surprised as I always thought that herbivores only ate flora.

Voyageur

The say the Mad Cow disease is spread (one of the ways) by feeding a prepared feed that contains parts of a already infected cow.
The cows here are not cannibals by choice. It is forced on them my their human keepers. The waste parts of cows are a source of protein that is cheap. When mixed with grain and other stuff they probably can't tell they are eating their own kind. And even if they could, a starving animal will eventually eat about anything when hungry enough. Remember the Donner party?

The best game shot with a rifle I ever saw was my 1st Father in Law. He only shot them in the middle. It didn't matter if they were lying on a limb or jumping from tree to tree, they were not safe. He would fuss about it when I made a head shot. When he was a boy they were poorer than dirt. He would get 5 .22 shells and if he brought home 4 squirrels and no shells he got a whooping for wasting bullets.
It was ingrained into him so deep he never wasted nothing. It took him hours to clean fish or game. He plucked and singed all birds, quail, doves, ducks, it didn't matter, you can eat the bony part of the wings. He skinned catfish hole and fried the heads along with the rest.
Squirrel heads were a special treat. Dip them in flour and drop them in the frying pan. Actually, there is some good meat around the jaws. Though the brains and eyeballs never appealed to me much.

I really don't know anything, other than what I see on television, about Mad Cow, but it only takes a bite of the neural tissue of an infected animal to contract Mad Cow.

If you Google "squirrel brains" you will get several references to Mad Cow contracted from squirrel brains.

We are poor white trash and when we were childern we ate wild game regularly. We ate a lot of squirrel, hunting them involved training dogs, recreation and food. I don't know of anyone who had Mad Cow. Then on the other hand medical care was almost none existant, so there may have been Mad Cow and we just didn't know it.

Years ago 22 shells were a half cent apeice. I have a Remington TargetMaster, an old bolt action 22 rifle and have shot some squirrels with it. In order to buy 22 shells first you had to have a penny and then you had to walk to the store, the nearest store that sold 22 shells was several miles and we didn't go often. More of my squirrels were caught in a hand made figure four trap, along with rabbits, doves, pidgeons and quail. We also had a trap line that my Uncle Connie ran and we ate whatever he caught. His focus was fur so we ate coon & possum. Gumbo.

quote:Quote by TwoShadows:I've barked a couple squirels. Once quite by accident I've done some of my best hunting by accident.
Like45 years ago at the Stock Watering tank with the coot swiming on it. "Watch me scare the H*** out of him" I says to my buddy Bob as I raise my Italian Carcano and snap of a round. KABOOM!!! Water shot up 30 feet into the air and then rained back down on the headless coot.
And the time my dad and I were walking thru the forest up by Prescott. I see just the nose and ears of a squirrel peeking around a Pondorosa Pine about 80 feet up and 40 yards away. I pull out my trusty Colt single action .22 that wouldn't hit a cantalope at 15 feet and POP! Nothing but a nose, ears and a squirrel body. No forehead or brains to worry about eating!

Sometimes I think to myself at the range "Maybe I should just scare the X ring! That might help".

DoLittle, Thanks for the stroll down memory lane with the comments about walking to the store and buying hulls for the old Remington Targetmaster. The Targetmaster belonged to a friend...best I could own at the time was a single shot Stevens. Uncle Mitchel ran the store after he got his leg shot off in WW2. A hard earned quarter would buy me a package of Wing cigarettes, a cold bellywarsher, and a handful of hulls to hunt with on the way back to the house...smoking them Wings.

Latest posts

Back