• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bare Ball Shooting Smooth Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the purpose of the Borax?
I am sure I am not the only one wodering.
It is a fire retardant for the wads. I boil water add borax stir it in to dissolve and
Soak newspaper in the solution , lay paper over a rack to dry, which does not take very long. When I have soaked all my solution and dried pages I fold the paper and store in a extra large resealable food bag.
When I make wads I use a heavy wood rule and fold a strip of paper against the rule then tear it along the crease against the rule. I tear strips until page is used. Strips are about 2 1/2 “ wide and one strip can make 6 wads 3 1/2” for my 20 ga tulle. You can make them what you want to hold the shot or ball.
The wads will not start a fire in my experience and they hold grease off the powder. The op wad holds the grease ball and ob wad is used to ram the load to powder.
I load strictly from the shooting bag.
I usually can make enough to go a year of shooting in one session depending on my usage. I will strip up enough for a couple of sessions at a time.
LBL

It is a fire retardant for the wads. I boil water add borax stir it in to dissolve and
Soak newspaper in the solution , lay paper over a rack to dry, which does not take very long. When I have soaked all my solution and dried pages I fold the paper and store in a extra large resealable food bag.
When I make wads I use a heavy wood rule and fold a strip of paper against the rule then tear it along the crease against the rule. I tear strips until page is used. Strips are about 2 1/2 “ wide and one strip can make 6 wads 3 1/2” for my 20 ga tulle. You can make them what you want to hold the shot or ball.
The wads will not start a fire in my experience and they hold grease off the powder. The op wad holds the grease ball and ob wad is used to ram the load to powder.
I usually can make enough to go a year of shooting in one session depending on my usage. I will strip up enough for a couple of sessions at a time.
LBL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 60
LBL

What is the mix ratio of the water and Borax?

To all the point was shooting with out patch. As I was told Civil War acting has to shoot bare balls only. That is a rule they have to follow. N-SSA:doh:
The Civil War muskets used paper cartridges. You would open one end pour the powder then put the paper and ball into the barrel ram it home cap and fire. The paper cartridge acted like a patch. But no arches are used. No bare ball loaded if you are following the military loading techniques. Paper cartridges not bare ball.

The Civil War muskets used paper cartridges. You would open one end pour the powder then put the paper and ball into the barrel ram it home cap and fire. The paper cartridge acted like a patch. But no arches are used. No bare ball loaded if you are following the military loading techniques. Paper cartridges not bare ball.
Not so. The Brits' load for the Enfield was a paper wrapped smooth bullet. But the American load for rifled muskets (for both sides) was a greased Minie with grease grooves, no paper. Yes the cartridge was paper but the paper was not rammed.
It was different for smoothbores with round ball, for which ramming paper was optional.

Latest posts

Back