• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bare Ball Shooting Smooth Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the range last year next to a guy shooting what he called "fuzzy balls". He was shooting .62 cal. balls with no patch, but he told me he always roughs up the balls with a rasp so that they will fit tighter in the bore. That's the way he always shoots them, and his accuracy at 50 yds. was pretty good.

I was at a shoot where a few of us were using smoothbores. We were shooting paper targets and about 25 yards. Although it was a rifle shoot, at that range we were holding our own. Part way through the shoot I ran our of patches and started dropping straight ball, just to finish out the match. Funny thing was that I didn't do any worse.

I have a 10 gauge double barrel Pedersoli percussion shotgun with removable chokes. The manual makes no mention of shooting anything but lead shot, but can I shoot round balls with choke tubes? If so, what diameter and loads? I've emailed Pedersoli also and am awaiting a response from them.
Thanks for any info.
Good morning reebuck, I have a Pedersoli 10 double with the choke tubes also, but have no idea whos tubes fit it. A friend gave me a Browning invector but it did not screw in. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Fall turkey is coming up here in south FL. and I would like to use the double Thanks much.

If bare ball means shooting without a patch, this may qualify. I load my smooth bore the same way with ball as I do shot.. 85g 2f powder, a .125 card over powder, a cushion wad, ball and 2 over shot cards to hold ball in place. I got this from an article "Round Ball in a Smoothbore"by Jim Colburn. I've only tried it at 25 yds. but it worked well. 9 shots off hand.
U2jUM5s.jpg
WOW!! that is truly an amazing group, and it would out shine a lot if rifles!!

I always lubricate by bare balls for my .69 cal 1842 Springfield musket before an N-SSA competition. I always ask my wife to help as it drives my teenage daughters crazy ... which is why I do it .... LOL

Me personally, im kina new to both smooth bores and flint locks. I dont like the idea of a " loose" ball rollin up n down my barrel. Even a green leaf stuffed to hold it in place would settle my mind when im about to pull the trigger, esp hunting walking, jostleing it around. Thus far i shoot from the bench, there id "almost" be ok with it, other than fact gas running around sides n not pushing as should. Again my opinion from a newb to smoothies, far from new to bp... i love being enlightened by the far more in the kno than me, and i wont even argue with yuh lol
Run a wad down the bore, then a ball and then a top wad. Note the feel of the wad and note how much rod you have sticking out of the bore, even mark it, turn gun muzzle down and give it a few shakes and hard jars. Flip it over run a rammer down. Does your wad feel solid? Are you where you were on the rod . If you have a good top wad no worries your shot is as tight as a PRB.

To all please read what BARE BALL shooting smooth bore is, it is not shooting with a patch or wad. IT is BARE BALL. N-SSA rules are CLEAR :doh:

Last edited:
To all please read what BARE BALL shooting smooth bore is, it is not shooting with a patch or wad N-SSA rules are CLEAR :doh:
Maybe some aren't concerned with N-SSA rules. Seems any load without something around the ball could be considered a "bare" ball. Doesn't make people dopes who don't comply with those rules.

No that is not what I am saying BARE BALL SHOOTING is not with wad or patch as some seem to talk about BARE BALL !:doh:
I know it is not what you are saying. I'm saying some of us don't care what the N-SSA rules define it as. Most people consider it bare ball if no patch or paper cartridge is used. If nothing is wrapped around the ball, it would seem pretty bare.

Well, I can't really disparage bare ball loads since I've fired plenty of them. This target has 8 shots using 3 different loads that are more than field worthy to say the least. The combined group is still barely over 5" at 50 yards.
DSC00462.jpg

I was at the range last year next to a guy shooting what he called "fuzzy balls". He was shooting .62 cal. balls with no patch, but he told me he always roughs up the balls with a rasp so that they will fit tighter in the bore. That's the way he always shoots them, and his accuracy at 50 yds. was pretty good.

I've tried that method with a bore sized .618" RB that I cast, which raised the diameter to .619". I.e., it was tight enough so that no wads at all were needed. However, it performed worse than any load I tested @ 25 yd. (balls were dipped in beeswax - olive oil lube; bore was swabbed after each shot). I suspect the accuracy you get depends largely on the gun and the shooter's skill, but my gun just didn't like 'em.

Tenngun, if you where to load from flask one would be asked to leave range. Loading from ones flask is one rule that ALL should know is not to be done! I don't shoot any shooting events Shoot out to fifty yards and can shoot 3 inch group Don't have any rear sights Have been to matches and watch shooters shoot hole to hole at fifty yards. :ghostly:

Back