• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the clarification!
Sometimes things aren't as clear as some would have you believe. Believe half of what you see & none of what you read, is the old saying. Mix some Ballistol with water & see for yourself. You will find the medicinal grade mineral oil in Ballistol is totally water soluble. Emulsions separate over time. Something that is water soluble doesn't. Don't take my word for it. Judge for yourself.

I think everyone has seen that test, but it does nothing for how it neutralizes black powder residue. Also, some people claim they have rust in their bores after using Ballistol, but I think they are seeing something else. I think the Ballistol has continued to loosen up crud, and when they swab their barrel and see a brown patch and think it is rust. When actually it is crud from not getting it clean enough. I will continue to use Ballistol as it works great for me. I always get a kick out the lube and cleaning discussions. They get brought up every couple weeks and get a lot of attention. Always fun. I too love the smell of Ballistol and Hoppes 9, if they didn't smell, how would you know they are working?

I don't claim anything, only put forth facts. Clean bores in the four rifles exhibited darkness, and micro rusting specks all through the bores. The bores I used WD-40 on exhibited none of that. I always cleaned the same, to mirror bright and the only thing I did different was use Ballistol. When I check one bore, I thought huh? Then I checked the rest, and had to reclean all of them and treat with WD-40,

I actually like the smell of Ballistol. But in my defense I may not be right in the head. So my wife says.
It's funny the way people respond to odors. Some like the smell of Ballistol, some dont mind it, some are sickened by it and others say it smells like old socks, licorice, or whatever. My wife was extremely sensitive to smells. If I sprayed WD-40 or opened a bottle of Hoppe's on the other end of the house. I would not hear the end of it for a week. She could stand the strongest hair products and perfumes though that would make me wince.

I have found that Ballistol is great for removing surface rust on blued firearms espectially for a new shooter from the factory where the manufacture's rust protective paper covering or lubricant failed during shipment. Several rub downs using Ballistol and paper towns really removed the surface rust. Also, a light coat is great for storing guns in a safe.

Would just plain mineral oil be good for patching round balls.? And
Coating barrel after cleaning?
Considering that almost anything is good for patching round balls, mineral oil would be fine. I would want something that will soften the fouling. Mineral oil by itself will probably eventually form a tar like sludge that a mixture of water and a water soluble oil would keep under control. I would think plain mineral oil to slightly dampen a patch would find better use as a lubricant for a hunting load.

I need one of the Ballistol reproduction 1907 cork stopper bottles to put on the shelf above the bench.
Ballistol Nostalgic Flask
IMG_3737.jpg

Last edited:
I love this fine product and use the liquid. I have never seen the aerosol or the white can. Only green. So, I heard a story a long time ago from a guy that knew a guy. You understand. I was told that it was invented in Germany prior to the First World War. The German military required a cleaner that could clean metal, wood and leather! Has anyone ever heard this story? Just curious. (I have not tried it on leather.)

It's funny the way people respond to odors. Some like the smell of Ballistol, some dont mind it, some are sickened by it and others say it smells like old socks, licorice, or whatever. My wife was extremely sensitive to smells. If I sprayed WD-40 or opened a bottle of Hoppe's on the other end of the house. I would not hear the end of it for a week. She could stand the strongest hair products and perfumes though that would make me wince.
My wife is like that. Her Clorox smell fresh while my Hoppes stinks to her.

So far it appears to be doing it’s job. In fact I think that it is also pulling very fine deposits out of the pours of the barrel. What was a clean gun yesterday is coming out with dirty patches today after using more Ballistol patches in the barrel. Currently have two out of the 5 barrels shot last weekend with that happening. I can say it ain’t rust thats coming out so it’s gotta be pulling manure from the pours.
Walk

Would just plain mineral oil be good for patching round balls.? And
Coating barrel after cleaning?
Yes, pro Armour-ers that is wat they use. And i do use it (ballistol) on leather and wood dilute for cleaning soaking patches(lubing them) and straight for lubing barrels and whatev!
And in the field it keeps guns shooting instead of stuck! And it has some acid neutralizing effect!

Back