• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does it work better straight up or cut with H2O? if cut what percentage, 50/50?

Some swear by it, I swear it will never see my bores again. I used it in my bores after cleaning, and rust issues started in every bore I used it in. This was in an air conditioned environment inside my home. It may be good for other uses, but I gave mine away. I use WD-40, and it holds up well in heavy humidity as well.

When coaching we used a 10% Ballistol to water mix (in a hardware store pump bottle) for all cleaning and straight Ballistol for storage. I still do it that way for all my personal blackpowder stuff.

For my percussion revolvers I use the water mix/pump bottle and hose those handguns down inside and out as if they were on fire. Pump it straight down the barrel, put the hammer on full cock and do the same for the innards. The slimy, filthy, fouling-killing cleaning mixture running out everywhere. With whatever fairly clean dry cloth I dry off everything I can reach and dry the bore with patches - then cover everything with straight Ballistol. For the innards I spray the straight Ballistol in past the cocked hammer until it runs out through the trigger guard. Wipe off any excess and store. All the guns are stored in an area where the humidity hovers around 40%. No rust in decades.

For those wondering about the internal action parts - after doing the above for a year's worth of shooting I took it apart to see how the inside was doing. There was no rust. There was a very light coating of soot - but it was no hindrance to functioning or reliability.

Flame retardant suit on.....

Ballistol - love the stuff, hate the smell, and stopped using it when it became overpriced.

Napa cutting/grinding oil works just as well!!! And it does it's job with no smell.

Hickok45: 1861 Parker Hale Enfield Musketoon quick clean-up using only Ballistol starts at about the 23:00 mark.

Ballistol - love the stuff, hate the smell, and stopped using it when it became overpriced.
Tell me, what gun product ISN'T overpriced?
Smells like cat $hit to me.
I tried it as a patch lube, wasn’t really impressed.
I don't think you really know what cat $hit smells like!
Napa cutting/grinding oil works just as well!!! And it does it's job with no smell.
It will mix with water but I wouldn't use it on wood or leather and darn sure wouldn't rub it on a scratch like you can with Ballistol.

Once applied to your gun as made, the alcohols and emulsifiers evaporate. That leaves only the mineral oil. Mineral oil is not water soluble. It does not turn to soap. Soap is a different thing. It becomes an emulsion, making mayonnaise is another example of an emulsion.
Thanks for the clarification!

I still wonder if the fellas that say Ballistol causes rust are mixing it with water and leaving it? I have never had a rust issue with Ballistol and I see some bad humidity issues in my shop where I leave guns quite often.

I think everyone has seen that test, but it does nothing for how it neutralizes black powder residue. Also, some people claim they have rust in their bores after using Ballistol, but I think they are seeing something else. I think the Ballistol has continued to loosen up crud, and when they swab their barrel and see a brown patch and think it is rust. When actually it is crud from not getting it clean enough. I will continue to use Ballistol as it works great for me. I always get a kick out the lube and cleaning discussions. They get brought up every couple weeks and get a lot of attention. Always fun. I too love the smell of Ballistol and Hoppes 9, if they didn't smell, how would you know they are working?

Back