• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello the Camp,

As I was rolling flat base tubes for cartridges to use in my Sharps carbine a thought struck me, not hard enough to hurt, but enough to turn on a light.

It is not what you put on the outside of the arm, that makes no difference Ballistol, Rem oil, CLP, Kumquat oil, take your choice as long as it preserves the arm.

The bullet lube can be the culprit that will really muck up a barrel. Black Gunpowder fouling is not compatible with petroleum base bullet lubes. The rule if you can’t eat it you can’t use it” is where petroleum based bullet lubes fail.

As far as Pyrodex and 777 I have no idea, don’t like ‘em, don’t use ‘em. I have used APP and it is fine with any bullet lube so I suspect rust in a bottle that burns and 111 past the sign of the devil would be all right.

So go my friends, rub on the outside whatever potion you like, but watch what you use as a lube with patch or bullet.

Go in peace. Brothers, knowing your barrels will be safe.

Respectfully submitted

J. L. (Bunk) Stagner SASS #85926

The real Bunk RIP foully murdered Sept 12, 1896

I was shooting my .577cal unmentionable one morning when a member turned up for his once-a-year zero shoot - something that cost him an annual membership fee the same as mine - and I shoot three or four times a week.

Turns out he was a professional deer-stalker, and as such was often used as an instructor by the British Deer Society. This organisation is the standards-setter for deer management in the UK, and to get a 'license' to take deer [no tags here, BTW] requires at least the lowest grade of competence in stalking deer, shooting them and dealing with the results afterwards.

Well, he watched me booming away with my 600gr bullets and eventually came over. How fast are those things going? I told him, about 1200 fps. Waaay too slow to do any damage to a deer then.... I remarked that bullets going the same speed, but 200gr lighter, were quite happily taking North American Bison today, to the point of them dropping in their hoofprints, right there.

He scratched his head in disbelief, couldn't believe I wasn't pulling his leg.

Very sad, I thought, as he walked off.
Even if the horse dies, it will rise within a couple of days to start again, and again, followed by is the .45 enough to kill a deer?

Believe Martin Luther King Jr. said it best, how long is this going to go on.
This is the one I love the most. My friend just got a .45 and everyone he knows tells him it is too small! The guy that started that should be made to satisfy that virgin!

Back