• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wipe between shots with Ballistol mixed 50/50. There isn’t a teacup of brain matter among those who argue with that. Only numbers count in this game and I can measure groups as well as anyone. If it works it works.

The variety opinions and recommendations is staggering, but there are some very good suggestions here too. What I find most humorous is the contention that Ballistol is “not petroleum, it’s mineral oil !” Go to Wiki and look up mineral oil. You’ll find that in almost all cases, it’s a by-product of petroleum distillation.

The variety opinions and recommendations is staggering, but there are some very good suggestions here too. What I find most humorous is the contention that Ballistol is “not petroleum, it’s mineral oil !” Go to Wiki and look up mineral oil. You’ll find that in almost all cases, it’s a by-product of petroleum distillation.

We all know it starts as petroleum. The question is after it's refined to it's present form does it still turn to sludge when mixed with black powder.

Do you know that answer?

Yes I know the answer, it does not, and it works great.

I have a serious of questions. Yes, that answer is yes. I'm sure we all know that. I've used 100% Ballistol for a patch lube.

So, the second question is. How does a pure petroleum oil mix with black powder? Take your pick of oil. Motor oil?

I'll wait for that answer before asking the 3rd question.

I'm afraid you are complete wrong about Ballistol. It contains NO petroleum products & even contains some plant extracts. The medical grade mineral oil in Ballistol is rendered from paraffin not petroleum. The misinformation continues from those that get it "half right" once again. Read the MSDS sheet on Ballistol & take a few minutes to find out the facts before posted BS. I don't care if someone uses Ballistol or doesn't use Ballistol, I'm just tired of all the stupid arguing about it & what it contains. It's just not that hard to get the actual ingredients & what they are derived from, so why are you posting falsehoods? You can actually drink Ballistol with no ill affects. Try that with a petroleum based product.

We all know it starts as petroleum. The question is after it's refined to it's present form does it still turn to sludge when mixed with black powder.

Do you know that answer?
No, we don't all know it starts as petroleum, because it DOESN'T!!! Read my response to Pukka Sahib & educate yourself & stop spreading falsehoods.

No, we don't all know it starts as petroleum, because it DOESN'T!!! Read my response to Pukka Sahib & educate yourself & stop spreading falsehoods.

I was trying to get that across but they were too slow to answer my questions.

There are different types of mineral oil. One of them is made from refining crude oil. Ballistol isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

There is the claim Ballistol isn't petroleum based as it is made from paraffin. I worked in the oilfields and can confidently tell you paraffin and crude oil come out of the same hole. Here in Kansas parafinn comes up as nasty looking black stuff. With refining it becomes the clean white stuff that is the basis of Ballistol. In other parts of the world paraffin is the name given kerosene. Paraffin is a hydrocarbon just like crude oil and the petroleum based products many cuss. What's needed is a chemistry lesson on how various hydrocarbons react with black powder residue.

popcorn impala.gif

Funny my can of Ballistol says to use a mix of 25% Ballistol to 75% water for black powder cleaning.
You are not wrong. The recomendations have changed over the years. Many use it thinned even more.

I figure I put some in the bore then fill with water when get back to camp.... estimate at a 10% solution.
However when I purposely mix it, I do a 50/50 mix. I always finish up using it straight to prevent attracting any possibility of rust.

To note, the old directions show different percentages
Here is the modern label:
ballistol mix ratios 2021.jpg
Here is what it was in the trifold handout in 2006 I had available:
ballistol mix ratios 2008.jpg
And here are two items of interest off my website.: Ballistol The Amazing Story.pdf and Ballistol Use.pdf I already posted the current MSDS, but have the old one from 2006 to 2008. There isn't any real difference.

Attachments

• Ballistol The Amazing Story.pdf
    438.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Ballistol Use.pdf
    566.5 KB · Views: 161
Interesting that the one pamphlet says not to mix it until ready to use. Most everyone stores it premixed.

Latest posts

Back