• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly, a 50/50 mix of Ballistol to water is a good cleaner. However the makers of Ballistol want you to use more than you need. And water with a dash of dish washing soap is also an effective cleaner.
I just answered his question. I like to use cool water with a little Dawn.

I think warm water or even hot water will open up
pores to release fouling better. Dish soap+ water or Ballistol
mix will also work. The big thing is to have the energy
to apply the elbow grease. I dry off my pieces with a
hairdryer to speed up finishing and to be sure it is
dry. Thin application of oil/wd 40/ ballistol or similar
to coat steel and retard rust.

Been using @20% Ballistol mixed with 80% water to clean my BP guns since late 1970’s and I believe it is the easiest and most effective cleaner for me. I like the fact that it emulsifies with water and when water evaporates it leaves a film that helps prevent rust. Did a simple test once and sprayed some plain nails with water and then sprayed one with Ballistol mix and let them all sit for a week. Nail sprayed with Ballistol mixture didn’t rust like the untreated nails. This and the fact that my guns still look and shoot good after 40+ years is proof enough for me. But as a previous poster mentioned, use what works for you - there are multiple ways to skin a cat!

Ballistol has petroleum in it.

It is not water nor natural based.

Petroleum + burnt black powder = sludge
Your statement couldn't be further from the truth. If you will read the Material Safety & Data Sheet (MSDS) for Ballistol, which obviously you haven't, you will find no petroleum based products. The mineral oil in Ballistol is paraffin based & medical grade. The oleates are natural components of fats, the alcohols are from the natural fermentation of proteins, starches & sugars, & the benzyl acetate is from the Jasmine plant. Ballistol DOES NOT make sludge when in contact with black powder fouling. If you are going to criticize something, at least get your facts straight so as to not spread misinformation.

Is there such a thing as homemade Ballistol? Like mineral oil mixed with something maybe?

Yes, I believe that Stumpy has a formulation called Moose Juice, and as far as I can tell it is a Ballistol/water diluted equivalent, here is the recipe:

S t u m p k i l l e r’ s MOOSE JUICE
All Weather Enriched Blackpowder Solvent & Body Wash
A general purpose blackpowder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using. Can be allowed to dry on dipped patching for a dry lube dry flat on waxed paper & dip twice for best saturation). Add ingredients in the following order and shake well after each is added.

Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphys Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

I just use a 1 liter soda bottle, mix it in order above, add water last to the top off the bottle, shake and you are done.

I really like Stumpy's recipes because he explains what each of the ingredients purpose is. He also has Moose Spit which is a cleaning solution alternative to soap and water, Moose Snot which is a patch lube, and Moose Marrow which is a minie ball lube.

Latest posts

Back