• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, it was developed by the Germans prior to WWI as a general rifle cleaner/maintenance oil. It also works as a hand lotion & lip balm. Just Google it to confirm, as my memory has been known to be defective at times.

'evening,

Same as Bearkiller - I use it in the bore when done cleaning and to lube the lock.

I also use it to wipe down wood. And leather if I don't have any neatsfoot handy.

Mike

I had issues with rust in the bores when using it. So I stopped using it
I ended up with rusty bores too after using Ballistol to protect them. Like you, I quit using the stuff. I switched to Birchwood Casey Sheath which they later re-branded with a new name called Barricade.

I ended up with rusty bores too after using Ballistol to protect them. Like you, I quit using the stuff. I switched to Birchwood Casey Sheath which they later re-branded with a new name called Barricade.

Gave away the ballistol I had left after rusty bore too.

I use it mixed with water for swab’n barrel at the range...saves on spit! I use it straight to lube lock and protect the bore. Knock on wood i haven’t had any rust issues. I check the bore the next day and then a week later just to be sure. A couple times i have looked down the bore the next day and said oh $&[email protected] that some rust? Ran patch down and no rust...barrel nice and shiny. Relubed, check barrel next day and good to go. I guess the Ballistol was still cleaning the bore. Oh and i love the smell!

While I don’t use it for long term storage protection, I do use it as a rust preventative/lubricant in the bore and on the exterior when shooting a particular rifle(s) on a regular basis. I have not experienced any rust when used in this fashion.

A couple drops behind your ear....great for picking up girls. Works well in rimfire rifles as well. Some big winning was done with a .22 benchrest rifle that had well over 100,000 rounds through it, cleaned with it as you would clean with Hoppes #9.

For my BP guns I abandoned expensive proprietary brand cleaners for ‘John’s Joose’ Inspired Years ago after reading (some of) Hatchers Notebook and someone telling me about Ed’s Red

Soluble cutting oil, paint brush cleaner and transmission fluid.

Oiled afterwards up with slideway oil used on my lathe and mill-drill.

It feels like it’s cheaper🤔

A1D8EF7B-3600-4CCA-B110-0B0227727BAB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back