• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another board, the subject of Ballistol came up. One member said he was watching NASCAR on tv and saw the gas can pit crewman spray Ballistol on the nozzle of the can...I suppose to lubricate it. Interesting application.

I use Moose Milk but the smell reminds me of someone who crapped a licorice stick.

Did one ever try to clean an HK rifle with he German Army issued "multi-purpose oil"?
I was the smart ass buying the small ballistol aerosol spray with my own money and carrying it. Even though technically not "allowed" to use it, after a day of shooting: One burst into the action, two burst into the muzzle. March on foot back to the barracks for about an hour. While my comrades had the nastiest time of their life cleaning their rifles, I was virtually done in minutes. It worked so well, it loosened carbon residue in the chamber that was probably built up for generations (rifle was built in 1965, I got it in 1994). Got the bolt head super clean under the ejector without pulling the spring pin. The corners of the area between the chamber and the barrel are and the area under the ejector are the hardest things to clean on the gun. With Ballistol it is a breeze. It is also one of the best women detractors out there. Guaranteed to keep women out of places where frequently used :))

What are you talking about, keeping women out of the area?
The new rule in my house if she dirties more than one gun a day she has to help clean then! :)

Michael

I can’t get mine to dirty a gun. She tried a couple of times but just doesn’t care. Our daughter just turned 9 and I think I can sway her. I’ll be trying soon enough. But I’d clean them for her as I want her interested, though she’d have to “help.”

azmntman said:
I'm too anal about my guns. "if" I allowed someone else to clean them I would clean em again. So I just do it myself. :surrender:

Ahhh.. finally someone like me. Not that I always get it clean enough, but at least I know on that rare occasion when I take it out and realize it isn't cleaned well its MY fault!

Oh, she wouldn’t have the actually cleaning job. More like removing nipples and possibly tearing them down.

I feel some sort of pocket model might be ideal for this since a child’s hands are small. Could always download a .44 but you can’t work with the grip size.

Hi,

My daughter started shooting with me when she was about 12 years old, her idea to spend time with me. When she got to High School she became to busy, in stepped my wife. Best thing that ever happened, however the rule is you dirty more than one gun a day, you help clean them. You ask, are there days like that? YES. I do most of the cleaning, both daughter and wife know how to clean. Oh, almost forgot they both have gone to a shoot without me!

Michael

rodwha said:
Oh, she wouldn’t have the actually cleaning job. More like removing nipples and possibly tearing them down.

I feel some sort of pocket model might be ideal for this since a child’s hands are small. Could always download a .44 but you can’t work with the grip size.

Have an 1849 .31 revolver. May be the funnest gun to shoot and the size and lack of recoil is PERFECT for a child or woman (my DIL wants one now :grin: )

Ballistol first came to my attention as a substitute for water-soluble oil an ingredient in Dry Patch lube purposes as wells an ingredient id many of the Moose Milk recipes..

I now understand there is a Lennox oil out there that is a good water soluble oil.
Ballistol was developed by the Germans in the late1800's as a gun cleaner, both inside and out..

It is also reputed to be good on bug bites..

I am aware of only two types of Ballistol,Liquid and spray.
Ones ability to control the amounts sprayed is doubtful and so suggest folks stick with the liquid,
A little goes a long way so use sparingly.

I originally suggested people use the NAPA Cutting and Grindungoil, which was a good water soluble oil, but NAPA changed the formula of that product to where it no longer was good to use with Muzzleloaders.
Dutch Schoultz

OMG I couldn't stand to have anyone but me clean my MLs. I would go into a coma

yeah, busting a blood vessel in my brain and stroking-out is what I'd probably do...., you'd think after 30 years away from the Corps that "cleaning your rifle" programming would've worn down maybe a little bit....., NOPE :shake: :nono:

LD

My daughter got a little bow and arrow set from her uncle for Christmas. As it turns out she likes it a lot and has even said she wanted to shoot the rabbits out back for dinner one day. I’m afraid were she to do so she’d be turned off. I think it best to wait a bit (she just turned 9). But I will be working on her a bit.

And if I can get her shooting with me I’d eventually make sure she cleans them. I’d prefer to spark her interest first as well as ensure they are properly cleaned.

I intend to one day purchase an Uberti Pocket Police. I figure the grip and recoil would likely be fine. She’s certainly big for her age.

The time we spend with our daughters when the are young pays a lot of divends later. My daughter just turned 37 and we are very close, we also have a son. He has not been shooting with us in 25 years. My daughter and her husband plan their vacation around our shooting trips.You never know how things will turn out.
BTW, my son is a fine young man, just has no interest in shooting. I am glad you are teaching your daughter correctly.

Those 44 cal pistols are ok, just to heavy when they are young. My wife shoots a Remington 58, because it is little
lighter than the Ruger OA.

Michael

I find it very interesting that there are such polar views on the product. I also find it interesting that there are several that say it sets up like glue and others that have never had that happen.

I do wonder if its a climate issue, or storage issue or what have you? I would be interested to know where people who have it set up live. Maybe its dry, or Humid or Hot or cold in those areas.

It also sounds like diluted to make "moose milk" affects its properties. But that is just me speculating.

Why does it react differently for different people? Hmmm.. :hmm:

I don’t believe it has to do with climate. I live in hot and humid Texas. Germany is more the opposite. Also being used for a military I’d think it couldn’t be so finicky.

I’m guessing it’s in conjunction with some sort of chemical(s) or some such. Or maybe it’s the amount used?

I use soapy water followed by Ballistol and let it sit.

I live in central Virginia where humid summers are the norm. I have never had an issue with Ballistol becoming gummy. The stuff has always worked just fine. On the other hand, I have had WD40 gum up a number of delicate mechanisms such as HO train parts and fishing reels.

Latest posts

Back