• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypilot39b

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, I've heard from some people that this stuff is the best stuff in the world for everything...sounded like they were selling WD-40 or something.

I've not been on this forum for long, but I have figured out that there are people on both sides of EVERY issue who are more than willing to make their argument passionately.

Sooooo Discuss, what do I need to know about this, is it worth getting some?

It's good stuff. Mostly mineral oil, or so I read. Good for wood, steel, leather...supposedly.

It makes a good patch lube and a pretty good cleaner. I can't think of any negatives for it except it stinks. Smells like someone farted a licorice stick.

Years ago when I read about the wonders of Ballistol here on the forum, I bought a bottle of it.

I thinned it with a bit of water and used it to protect my rifles bores from rust.

A few weeks after applying it, I checked my bores.

Maybe it was the fact that I had used water to thin it. I don't know.
What I do know is, the bores showed that surface rust had coated the bores of my guns that I thought I was protecting.
Bear in mind, I live in Phoenix where the humidity rarely gets above 30% (even with my swamp cooler running).

After finding this surface rusting I stopped using Ballistol for anything.

I returned to using Birchwood Casey Sheath (now called Barricade), and have never had a rusting problem on any of my guns.

Hi,
For rust prevention, I use it straight; no water added, and it works. (I live in Las Vegas, NV, also a very low humidity place). For long term storage, though, I prefer other agents, and I wouldn't recommend it as a rust preventative for any place with more humidity than here.

No need to argue it's use or its track record... Simply put it works and it works good. The Germans developed the stuff back in 1904.

I use it and out of EVERY "wonder" chemical I've tried ballistol indeed has proven itself.

Do a search, you'll find loads of information on it.

I'm not going to sit here and convince you to rush out and buy it, unless it works for you take anything with a grain of salt.

I will say, last deployment I was on I used it and kept a personal stash of it. I can say, if I didn't trust it, wouldn't have used it.

It's what I use. I've read it's not great as a long term protector. I check and reapply periodically if I'm not shooting. Once I found one of three with slight rust. This was maybe 9 months later or so. I live in central Texas where the humidity is fairly high. I don't cut it with water.

skypilot39b said:
Sooooo Discuss, what do I need to know about this, is it worth getting some?
It's been discussed. You might try searching the Accessories forum for "Ballistol". :thumbsup:

All you can do is try it and form your own opinion....
There are many good products out there..

I will say that I do not like the idea of using the same product for cleaning and storage..

I don't use ballistol and probably never will....Not that it is a bad product....but rather I have great success with other products in my climate.....Climate is a huge factor.

Put me in the camp of the Ballistol users. I use Ballistol as a patch lubricant and I think it is "The cat's pajamas" If you don't have a copy of Dutch Schoultz' Muzzleloading Accuracy System, you really need to get a copy. He charges only $20 for it and it is worth far more than that. Here is where to get a copy www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com. Dutch tells you how to find the exact amount of Ballistol to use on your patches. He also covers many other things that will help you get your shots all in the X ring.

I have also found Ballistol to be a good thing to clean my bore between shots and to wipe out my bore prior to leaving the range. I do not use it as my final cleaner. That is a job for good old hot soapy water followed by a good rinse with clear water, wipe dry with several dry patches followed by a good spray of WD-40 to remove the final traces of moisture. Thoroughly wipe out all of the WD-40. It is a great water displacer but that is all I use it for. Then a good wipe down with the rust preventive oil of your choice.

The manufacturer of Ballistol, as well as many users, say it is a good rust protectant. I don't agree (but I could be wrong :idunno: ) and I prefer to use a good machine oil such as 3 in 1 as they have a rust preventative additive. If I am going to store my gun for a long time, I will use Birchwood Caseys Barricade as it will form a grease-like coating over any metal surface on which it is applied. If you use Barricade and store your rifle for a while, you will have to thoroughly wipe out your bore with a solvent such as mineral spirits to get out all of the thickened Barricade. It will also protect the workings of your lock but you will have to soak your lock in mineral spirits to remove it before you can use your lock. It's great stuff but you have to know how to use it.

Ballistol as a patch lubricant, for wiping between shots and for a preliminary cleaning....Great stuff!! :thumbsup: but I don't use it for its rust preventive qualities. :shake: For me, :hmm: there are better products on the market....but that is just me. :grin:

As GeneL said "Smells like someone farted a licorice stick." :rotf: Ah yes there is that quality to it when you first open a bottle.....but it ain't all that bad. You can get rid of that smell by leaving the bottle open for a while. It's good qualities far outweigh that minor part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a very humid salty environment on the coast of NC (which is probably irrelevant because my guns spend 99.7% of the time in a gun cabinet in a climate controlled house :shocked2: )

Anyway when I'm all done cleaning I run a couple of patches lightly coated with Ballistol (straight) down the barrel of my muzzleloaders and I have had zero problem with rust.

You are not the first to extol the rust preventing virtues of Ballistol and, like I said, I surely could be wrong in my opinion in that regard. However, being a contrary old fart, I will stick with other products to prevent rust. That doesn't mean that you are wrong, it just means that I am contrary. :haha:

I agree on Ballistol as a patch lube, I mix it with Murphy's Oil Soap and water about 7/1 and it works great. This mix does not separate like the machine oil that I used in the past. I don't use it for long term storage.
Michael

Crewdawg445 said:
I will say, last deployment I was on I used it and kept a personal stash of it. I can say, if I didn't trust it, wouldn't have used it.

That says something to me....BTDT got the T-shirt. I did do a search and found lots of comments about it in other strings of discussion, but didn't really find a good discussion of the product. Sounds like just about everything else, use it for what it works for, don't use it for what it doesn't work for. I like the fact that it is not a petroleum based product. I try to stay away from petrochemicals with the BP stuff. Smokeless is a different animal.

Thanks all, as always I enjoy the discussion on here

meanmike said:
I agree on Ballistol as a patch lube, I mix it with Murphy's Oil Soap and water about 7/1 and it works great. This mix does not separate like the machine oil that I used in the past. I don't use it for long term storage.
Michael

Sure sounds like it would make a great patch lube. I may try it some day. What is the exact recipe? 1 part Ballistol to 7 parts water or the other way around? How much Murphy's do you add?

I use a 32oz plastic bottle, 2oz Ballistol, next 2 oz of Murphy's,then add water. I then shake well and open cap a little and let set it, needs to " settle ". I don't know if it is really 7 to 1 or not but it works. I do not use it to clean between shots. FYI, I use 1 oz of Dawn dishing washing soap, 91 percent isopropyl alcohol, next water in a gallon jug of water.
Michael

Ballistol was invented, or developed, by the Germans near the end of the 1800's for cleaning and preserving rifles both inside and out.
I began suggesting it's use when my sources of water soluble oil began to disappear
A gentleman named Lawrence in Gastonia , Carolina discovered its similarity to water soluble oil and passed it on to me.

Dutch

Deputy Dog
For a number of years I recommended NAPA Cutting Oil as an ideal water oluble oil.
Then they changed the formula using the same name but changing the chemistry to eliminate the OIL and replaced it with some other material that continued to work well as a cutting oil but not at all well as a patch lubricant. It dried out and often caught fire down range.
Since then I have been pushing Ballistol.
Milk Oil is something new to me and if it is a return of the old old style water soluble oil I would be delighted to hear that.
If anyone has used "Milk Oil" successfully I would appreciate a report.
Water soluble oil has continued to be produced but, to my knowledge, was available in only 5 gallon buckets or 55 gallon drums.
If milk oil looks, smells and probably tastes the same as 30 or 40 weight motor oil that would be a big clue.

Dutch Schoultz

Back