• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol Warning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say that I've used it in my muzzleloaders for years and have never had this happen either

I am not a user of this product, but I have had this results with some other products not related to weapon cleaning.
The manufactures will not say, but the manufacture changes formulation just enough to pass , but enough to cut cost. For instance I like and have used bore butter , but recently it's cost have gone up and it's formulation has changed to cut cost. I can't help but think we are going to experience these changes in many products because of the Chinese communist factor and trade . Might be such a thing as getting a bad lot or batch.
, this seems to happen more and more. Just saying.

We need at least 10 more pages of opinion on whether Balistol is good or bad.
Maybe we should start another thread on why you can’t use petroleum products in a muzzleloader. I don’t care if you use motor oil or olive oil, before you shoot get it all out of your barrel. All of it. Olive oil, ballistol, transmission fluid will all contaminate your powder if you don’t clean it out. People that will adamantly say not to use petroleum products will rant on how wonderful ballistol is. Mineral oil in ballistol is made from crude oil. I’m a wd40 and ballistol user for 30+ years. No rust. No misfires from oil contamination.

Lord please let a moderator put an end to further comments on this thread. Future generations might actually believe and use some of the bad advice offered in these comments. Amen

Yes! Anything contrary to your opinion should be censored by others. Makes perfect sense.

Maybe we should start another thread on why you can’t use petroleum products in a muzzleloader. I don’t care if you use motor oil or olive oil, before you shoot get it all out of your barrel. All of it. Olive oil, ballistol, transmission fluid will all contaminate your powder if you don’t clean it out. People that will adamantly say not to use petroleum products will rant on how wonderful ballistol is. Mineral oil in ballistol is made from crude oil. I’m a wd40 and ballistol user for 30+ years. No rust. No misfires from oil contamination.

Yep. This is an important point. People used to centerfire carteidge guns tend to be very "liberal" about gun oil, and don't understand the corrosive nature of blackpowder. Misfires, squibs and failure to fire when they try muzzleloading is pretty common. The truth is any gun in a stable environment needs little if any oil to prevent rust or corrosion. When I pull the trigger on a Blackpowder firearm it damn well better go "Bang". The best way to ensure that is keep oil & grease away from the powder.

Chix2111 , perfect solution. Been shooting m/l'ers since 1970. Used to do just what you do. Now I've jumped up a notch by hooking the tubing to the hot water faucet . Next, on the other end of the flexible tubing, clamp a piece of auto parts store brake line metal tubing. Stick the metal tubing on the muzzle , put finger over touch hole and turn on the hot water. When the barrel is hot , and the water coming back out the muzzle is running clear, run a few patches through the barrel and oil. Park the gun overnight muzzle down , couple more patches and Barricade if going to storage..............oldwood

The hot water some use for cleaning b/p barrels has zero effect on cleaning, other than water of any temperature is the best cleaner. All heated water does is assist in drying the metal. The bore would get just as clean with ice water.

The hot water some use for cleaning b/p barrels has zero effect on cleaning, other than water of any temperature is the best cleaner. All heated water does is assist in drying the metal. The bore would get just as clean with ice water.
Ever wash greasy dishes with cold soapy water?

I don't use Ballistol, never have as I'm satisfied with what I do use. I clean with tapwater, dry with patches, denatured alcohol & WD40 and protect the bore with Barricade (ran out of BreakFree CLP). I'm continually going over my guns weekly - anxiety, ya' know - paying extra attention to the bores.

I read through most, not all, of this lengthy thread. Just proves there are a variety of effective ways to clean and protect. I use moose milk at 7:1 for an initial spray, if there's heavy fouling I'll pour in some Witches Brew to soak 10 minutes or so. Then repeated swabbing and rinse with hot tap water and swab some more. When dry, I finish with a Ballistol swab. It works for me. Whatever works for someone else is great too.

I've been doing my procedure for 20 years or more, the 20+ years previous I just used hot soapy water, dried it, then regular gun oil. That worked fine too.

No sir. Never used cold water to wash dishes. No disrespect intended, but greasy dishes have no correlation to black powder fouling. I certainly didn't mean to push my agenda or methods toward anyone; I only meant to add my experience to the topic. We all have our own way in every endeavor. My way is just mine and that's all I meant. I gotta learn to control the way I say things. I'm neither impressive nor someone to heed. Very sorry.

Back