• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol Warning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently found out that Ballistol will heavily corrode brass and possibly etch or damage chrome and nickel plating on firearms. I had used a wiping stick to swab my gun barrel with 7:1 water and ballistol. Took the patch off and tossed it in the trash, slid the stick into its protective tube for storage and left it. When I took it out again this past weekend, the brass end was covered with heavy green corrosion. I was able to clean it off with Brasso, but was quite surprised. When I checked the ramrod I had also used with the solvent, it was also corroded with green. Again, Brasso cleaned it with some rubbing. It appears Ballistol is good for steel but not on brass. Some other forums also warn of using it on chrome and nickel finishes. Just be careful.

I recently found out that Ballistol will heavily corrode brass and possibly etch or damage chrome and nickel plating on firearms. I had used a wiping stick to swab my gun barrel with 7:1 water and ballistol. Took the patch off and tossed it in the trash, slid the stick into its protective tube for storage and left it. When I took it out again this past weekend, the brass end was covered with heavy green corrosion. I was able to clean it off with Brasso, but was quite surprised. When I checked the ramrod I had also used with the solvent, it was also corroded with green. Again, Brasso cleaned it with some rubbing. It appears Ballistol is good for steel but not on brass. Some other forums also warn of using it on chrome and nickel finishes. Just be careful.

Odd. My 2013 NMA has seen nothing but Ballistol and the brass just has the usual tarnish from age. Nor are my rod tips green.

The 7 parts water maybe causing the corrosion?

The 7 parts water maybe causing the corrosion?

A possibility indeed. Yankee, you might want to take a small piece of brass (like a jag maybe), wet it with pure Ballistol, then stash it for a week (or whatever period of time you think is appropriate), then wet another piece with your 7:1 mix and do the same, then see what they look like.

I have used Ballistol on my Remington 40XHB .22 target rifle with no problems, but there is no brass involved. I have seen several references on this site that mention diluting Ballistol with water for use in muzzleloaders. I found it really strange. Can someone fill me in on why you would do that? Does Ballistol not contain oil with would then emulsify?

Ballistol likely wasn't the problem, the water was. I cannot think of anything I would mix 1:7 with water and leave my guns wet with be they steel, brass, chrome, nickle or otherwise. I use dish soap and hot water to clean my guns, then dry thoroughly and oil appropriately. Undiluted Ballistol is a good cleaner and lubricant and a decent rust preventative for short term storage of less than a year. The addition of all that water is what did you in.

Study with photos: Corrosion Prevention - Second Round

why did no one reads the description of Ballistol ? It was also made to remove Tombak in the bore.
This oil is not neutral it´s alkaline, it´s a good oil but not for many nonferrous metals .

I developed a method for my Hawken that I believe is the best ever. Fill a pail with boiling water and a small amount of dish detergent. Get a 2ft piece of clear flexible tubing like is used in small aquariums that is a push fit on the rifle's percussion nipple and put the other end (weighted) in the pail. With the rifle butt on the floor, work a tight cotton patch up and down, drawing and flushing the hot soapy water which cleans barrel, drum and nipple absolutely clean. The barrel will be hot and will dry completely in short order. Maybe everyone already does this, but I'm offering it up in good faith.

For years I have used Ballistol to wipe the exterior (wood, steel & brass) of my long guns and have never seen green on the brass.
Many folks mix ballistol and water to make a patch lube. Also allow the water to evaporate before use. Pure ballistol is more of a preservative protector. I have done the water ballistol mix after cleaning thinking it would protect my barrel. 2 days later check it as i always do, uh oh. Pure ballistol not so much if any surprises.

Ballistol contains the following ingredients:
Mineral Oil
Potassium Oleate
Ammonium Oleate
Oleic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Amyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Alcohol
Benzyl Acetate
Anethole
Isohexane (aerosol only)

Ballistol - Alkalinity
Ballistol has a pH of between 8.5 and 9.5. This variance occurs, because the pH of Ballistol can only be measured, when Ballistol is emulsified with water and because the concentration of Hydronium ions varies with the concentration of Ballistol in the emulsion. With an emulsion of 50 gr. of Ballistol in 1000 gr. of water a pH of 9 should normally result.

Ballistol as a Corrosion Inhibitor
Most corrosion inhibiting lubricants can only protect against normal oxidation. They do so by covering up the surface, which they are supposed to protect, and prevent contact with water and air. Due to its alkalinity Ballistol can also protect against galvanic corrosion, acidic corrosion and salt water corrosion. Ballistol contains oxygen binders. They make the oxygen, contained in water or air, unavailable for oxidation. Due to its low surface tension, Ballistol is capable of creeping into the smallest openings even against gravity. Accordingly, Ballistol provides not only passive but also active protection against corrosion. However, Ballistol is not a permanent coating or paint. Its protective effect will be the stronger the more often it is re-applied.

Compatibility of Ballistol with Other Materials
Ballistol is fully compatible with all metals including aluminum. However, Ballistol dissolves traces of copper, zinc, lead and tombac and can, therefore, be used to clean brass, bronze and silver.

For those that don't know what Tombac is, it is a brass alloy with high copper content and 5–20% zinc content. Tin, lead or arsenic may be added for colouration. It is a cheap malleable alloy mainly used for medals, ornament, decoration and some munitions. In older use, the term may apply to brass alloy with a zinc content as high as 28–35%

I don't think Ballistol was the culprit in this case. I've had similar happen and I don't use ballistol. It happens when I don't clean and protect my range rod or ramrod tip thoroughly.

Took the patch off and tossed it in the trash, slid the stick into its protective tube for storage and left it. When I took it out again this past weekend, the brass end was covered with heavy green corrosion.

I think the problem was sliding a dirty wet wiping stick into a cover, now the cover is dirty too. I think the salts and moisture became trapped in the cover and galvanic corrosion took place.
I also think using Brasso was a mistake. One reason I do not polish my brass furniture is because tarnish acts as a protective layer against corrosion.

I have been shooting "Black Powder" for 48 years, have 5 rifles that I built, some brass, some steel furniture. Log Cabin shop suggested using a WONDER LUBE greased patch run down the bore. I have NEVER had rust in my bore, or any corrosion, I also use it on the wood stock & on the steel or brass furniture depending on the rifle. I never have rust in the bores, or corrosion on the furniture! I WILL NEVER USE BALLISTOL, anything with WATER, NO WAY!

Back