• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ballistol as lube for Smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone here use Ballistol for patch and/or wad lube for smoothbores? I have a 20 gauge flintlock Fowler and I know some people do but was wondering if any smoothbore shooters do?

Also mention what works for your smoothbore just to get different options and opinions?

Looking for lube that also could help swabbing between shots be easier or just loading straight after shooting too...

I'm not sure, but i don't think a lube is even necessary on a smooth bore. Others may correct me on this, but i see no reason for it.

I use a 3:1 ratio of water to Ballistol. It works great for cleaning and swabbing about every other 4-5 shots. The wool felt wads I use are soaked in olive oil and beeswax and the leather over powder wads are soaked in just beeswax.

I use Ballistol as a patch lube for my rifles … as a dry patch lube water & Ballistol mix - soak patches then let them dry (Dutch Schultz method) and it works fine … I’m sure it would work w a smoothbore … however in my smoothbore I simply use pre-lube Ox Yoke patches because a friend gave me several packages of them. They work very well.

Same as most here, moosemilk ballistol/water mix for patch lube when shooting balls at the range. Cleans the fouling from the previous shot and allows all day shooting without having to wipe. I wouldn't use it for hunting since the moisture may contaminate the powder and maybe rust the bore.

No doubt I will be whipped with my own ramrod for this, but as long as your lube doesn’t flash and burn setting the woods on fire it really doesn’t make much difference what you lube with.
Yes some lube patch ball combos work better then others but were talking minuscule changes at a given range.
Deer can’t tell a four inch group from a one inch group.

Tons of options, all good. Some better. I like Track’s Mink oil tallow for my smoothbore. Seems to stay at the same consistency in all temperatures which is a concern up here in Canada.

Water soluable cutting oil and water, 15% oil to 85% water also works well. No swabbing tween shots. First is as clean as the last.

We are using Moose Milk when just shooting for what its worth for the reasons stated above. This picture is my Squaw's 3rd, 4th and 5th time she has ever shot a muzzleloader (with Moose Milk and patched round balls run from a Revolutionary War ca mold). Off-hand, 25 yds, with the 20 bore Fowler (no rear sight of course) I bought from @MikeC for her Christmas present.

She'll be good in a gun fight with the Injuns. Can you tell I'm proud of her. BTW, she is enjoying the smoke pole way more than she enjoys her unmentionables. :cool:

IMG_5378.jpg

We are using Moose Milk when just shooting for what its worth for the reasons stated above. This picture is my Squaw's 3rd, 4th and 5th time she has ever shot a muzzleloader (with Moose Milk and patched round balls run from a Revolutionary War ca mold). Off-hand, 25 yds, with the 20 bore Fowler (no rear sight of course) I bought from @MikeC for her Christmas present.

She'll be good in a gun fight with the Injuns. Can you tell I'm proud of her. BTW, she is enjoying the smoke pole way more than she enjoys her unmentionables. :cool:

View attachment 111378
Sweet. Glad she’s enjoying the new lefty Carolina.

You'll get a kick out of this. Put her (and the gun) on the bench. First shot? We have no idea where it went but guessing under the target by the trail the round ball left in the snow. I took a level out put it on top of the barrel aiming at the A-zone and set the sand bags. Got her back down behind the gun and explained how to use the sight picture. Said she understood. 2nd shot was still from the bench. She aimed at the T-box since we were pretty sure her first shot was low. Hit right above the right eye socket. She reloaded and I asked her if she'd prefer to shoot from the bench or off-hand. Off-hand she said. I got myself a keeper for sure.

I have used it and changed my use over time. For the 20ga Northstar trade gun kit I built years ago I have tried many variations over the years and settled on using a lube soaked fiber wad over powder (80 gr 2f) with a bare .610 ball that I "chew" with a large, very course hoof rasp. If I am worried it could role I split the wad with my nail and put the thin one on top of the ball. All that to say I have used balistol for this but more often use peanut oil as it works as well all day long and is less costly. Also doesn't sour like olive oil can. easy loading and no hard fowling. Use balistol + water moose milk to clean, pure balistol to protect.

You'll get a kick out of this. Put her (and the gun) on the bench. First shot? We have no idea where it went but guessing under the target by the trail the round ball left in the snow. I took a level out put it on top of the barrel aiming at the A-zone and set the sand bags. Got her back down behind the gun and explained how to use the sight picture. Said she understood. 2nd shot was still from the bench. She aimed at the T-box since we were pretty sure her first shot was low. Hit right above the right eye socket. She reloaded and I asked her if she'd prefer to shoot from the bench or off-hand. Off-hand she said. I got myself a keeper for sure.
I never have got good accuracy from the bench with a smooth bore. No idea why. No problem with rifles.

Back