• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ballbag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I needed something to contain me balls so I whipped this up. I don't know how pc it is but it works fer me. Used a small shed antler crown for a stopper.
ballbagsm.jpg

The "Bottle " shape is very common. I used a similar design my first ball bag. However, since then I realized the bag holds too many balls and really is a PITA to haul into the field, unless I reduce the number of balls down to about the same I might carry in a ball BLOCK!

So, the next bag I make is going to be only about 5 inches long, and maybe around 1.5" in diameter, so that it easily holds in my fist. Even with my .62 caliber balls, it will hold more than I will ever need deer hunting in the field. I would rather have a couple of these to use, than ONE larger ball bag. I can leave the extra one filled, back at my truck, or in camp.

With my .50 caliber rifle the small bag will still probably hold way too many balls for any field use. But, It will serve me well on a Hunter's Walk course at the club.

I am thinking of doubling the wall of the neck with extra leather, to give it stiffness, which will help keep it closed should the bag be upended, and the plug fall out. To open, simply pinch the sides of the neck to let a ball come out or go in the neck one at a time. :hmm:

Good advice on the ball block. I made this up this afternoon. Small to wear around the neck or put in yer pocket. I'll make another that will hold maybe six balls too.
smblock.jpg

I have only once fired more than one shot from my gun while deer hunting, and that was to give a coup de grace to another fellows deer that stumbled and was dying about 50 yds. from my stand one year. His gun jammed, in his excitement, and he asked me to finish his deer off. So, I don't expect to need more than a couple of PRBs on a deer hunt anymore, considering the personal restrictions I place on myself about the shots I am willing to take.

A Ball block, with pre-cut, lubed, PRBs in it just makes a lot of sense. I am not sure I want to carry it in my shirt pocket, but I have several pockets available where it can ride nicely, and be available in very short order to reload my gun.

Ball weight has to be taken into consideration when deciding how many balls you want to carry in a given block. My .62 caliber balls weigh 3/4 oz. Carrying 2-3 of them is more than enough, IMHO. However, with my .36,where the balls weigh about 65 grains each, you can carry a dozen in a large block and still not have the weight of those 3- 325 grains .62 cal. balls. :hmm: :hatsoff:

Hi guys , I don't know if this is allowed or not but a friend of mine shot a big feral billy goat took the appropiate part from said goat emptied the contents cured the remaining skin and it really makes an authentic ball bag no shaping required ... kiwi2

kiwi2 said:
Hi guys , I don't know if this is allowed or not but a friend of mine shot a big feral billy goat took the appropiate part from said goat emptied the contents cured the remaining skin and it really makes an authentic ball bag no shaping required ... kiwi2

Two of mine - the dark one is moose hide and the furry one is "seamless kangaroo as grown" if you get my drift. :wink:

IM000577c.jpg

"I am thinking of doubling the wall of the neck with extra leather, to give it stiffness, which will help keep it closed should the bag be upended, and the plug fall out. To open, simply pinch the sides of the neck to let a ball come out or go in the neck one at a time. :hmm:"

Ive doubled the mouth with extra leather layer, works well, I dont use stopper, just pinch to open.

Nice little block!

That gives me an impetus for some "killing time" projects while I am here. The LNs (local nationals) and ANA (Afghan National Army) use wood to cook so I can scrounge up some local stuff to make them.

Thanks for the idea!

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chroniclesâ„¢

Thank you for that comment. I was hoping that by adding two thick leather strips at the top of the neck, that I might dispense with a plug. Squeezing the sides to open the neck to let a single ball come thru is the way to go, IMHO.

Back