• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball Starter - Insert needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intervention

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm looking for another brass insert that will fit a 10/32 threaded jag. It goes into a 3/8" hole for a ball starter.
IMG_2128.jpeg

I needed a .56 ramrod tip, and made one out of the brass ferrule on a warped 2-piece pool cue. Made the cup in the end with a 1/2" ball router bit. Make friends with a machinist, or a buddy with a lathe.

Go to the hardware store and buy a brass bolt that will thread into your ball then drill and tap it for the 10-32 jag -- am I missing something here? Your cost is about $2.00 for the bolt - glue it into the ball after your done so it don't unthread and you lose it.

Sidney Smith -- Sorry -- I just saw your post:ghostly: -- I also agree with this :thumb:

I made my own ball starters. I use dowel rod glued into a round wood knob. For my big one I have a knob that is round but someone flat on top so it doesn't hurt my palm as much. For the tip I use brass shell casings' I have a round 1/2 " ball that is like a rasp, fits into a drill to make it concaved for minimal distortion to the RB when driving into the barrel.

I made a ball starter using a piece of deer antler. Drilled into the middle and glued in a dowel. Purchased a ramrod tip and fastened it to the rod, and glued in a small concave tip onto the end of the antler as the initial ball starter. Was a bit too tiny in diameter for my .54 cal. It would leave a circular impression on the ball. Might work with my .32 if I sand the rod down some.

Homemade starters using shell casings, and pieces of disregarded hickory ramrod.

Note the hole in the top of the block? Used to place over top of ramrod to drive a stubborn ball down the bore if needed? Especially handy during woods walk competition where shots, consecutive shots are timed.

Respectfully, Cowboy80BAFADE-A422-4E0D-BEB9-7DFA79F3203A.jpeg35E82198-506D-4407-8438-6AE2A3C0269D.jpegD35E85DE-6215-49A7-B206-3F7004537D37.jpeg53C9F32B-F588-4BE6-BFAE-DC1BAE08D77C.jpeg7F3870CF-602C-4447-8466-8042CF66F000.jpegFCEADFA4-2010-4CDD-8474-8A51EE607CC9.jpeg

Cowboy, that looks similar to the ball starter I made 40+ years ago with a scrap piece of oak and two pieces of leftover ramrod. I didn’t add ends to the dowel and just used the wood. It is still my only ball starter. Mine is ugly but works. The flat sides work well to give a patched ball a whack to get it flush with the muzzle.

It's mostly kids showing up at my shop w/splintered ramrods trying to start balls w/o short starters. I found good success in smartening them up by fixing them a new r/r and handing them a couple basic , untipped ball starters like i've used for years. Don't see them showing up again. Success is a beautiful thing.........oldwood

Cowboy, that looks similar to the ball starter I made 40+ years ago with a scrap piece of oak and two pieces of leftover ramrod. I didn’t add ends to the dowel and just used the wood. It is still my only ball starter. Mine is ugly but works. The flat sides work well to give a patched ball a whack to get it flush with the muzzle.

With a little thought, one can create something that’s superior to anything offered on the market. Even if it’s something as simple as a ball starter?😄

Respectfully, Cowboy

Thank you. It was actually very easy to construct. I wasnt happy with the tip so added the piece of flowering pear tree wood on the end just for a little contrast.

And thanks go to the little deer carcass I found who had shed his amtlers. I made the starter and a powder meadure from them.

These are just a few of the starters I've made over the years. Sometimes I would also use fired cartridge cases for tips; I ground off the rims first. Currently I probably have close to 18 starters I've cobbled together. The only difficult work so far was when making an ss for the .32. The 5-sided piece of antler is a palm saver I made.
89b20b4a-02bd-41be-9eb6-81dadfa7c30e-zpsd567bcc6.jpg

PICT0570-1.jpg

Back