• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys I've been looking into what balls to get for my new to me Seneca when I start load testing. I think I know the answer but looking for your opinions. I see .36 cal balls at .350" and .375".
I believe I need the .350" for the rifle. I think the .375" is for revolvers without a patch. Am I correct?

Guys thanks for the responses. After I posted this thread with this title I really didn't know what kind of answers I'd get from this crew!!!!!!!! LOL

I have a rifle that is of a 38 Caliber and I am finding it difficult to locate .370 balls to fit. So, I ordered the .375 pistol balls and plan to shoot using a .010 patch. Rifle is new to me and due to recent hand surgery and that I just now received everything to take it to the range ...it'll be a while before I can try it out. I would have thought a .38 caliber rifle would have been common in the 1800s....so why the problem of getting the .370 balls today. ZEE

Because few of us have 38 caliber rifles. The 0.370 diameter is way too small for percussion revolvers. There is little demand for that diameter ball. You will need to cast your own. The Tanner molds can be purchased in any diameter. Larry Callahan will make a bag mold in any diameter.

Thank you Grenadier for your replay. The rifle in question is a heavy bench rest target style built by E. Phillips (1840-1884). If the .375
ball doesn't perform well ... I will be looking to have a custom ball mold made, Your suggestion of Tanner molds will be a help since I am not familiar with where to have one built.

Thank you Grenadier for your replay. The rifle in question is a heavy bench rest target style built by E. Phillips (1840-1884). If the .375
ball doesn't perform well ... I will be looking to have a custom ball mold made, Your suggestion of Tanner molds will be a help since I am not familiar with where to have one built.
A heavy rifle like that may be intended to use a bullet, not a ball. A small ball like that is very subject to winds and probably would not compete well against large caliber. Check the twist. You may want to consider having it bored out and rifled to a larger caliber.

Thank you Grenadier for your replay. The rifle in question is a heavy bench rest target style built by E. Phillips (1840-1884). If the .375 ball doesn't perform well ... I will be looking to have a custom ball mold made. Your suggestion of Tanner molds will be a help since I am not familiar with where to have one built.

@Wireforhire, thanks for providing more information about your rifle. @Rifleman1776 is quite correct that these heavy rifles were often intended to use conical bullets. To best determine the best projectile for your rifle, you will need to measure the bore diameters, both the land-to-land diameter and the groove diameter to determine groove depth. Then you will need to know the rate of twist. Shallow grooves and a fast twist will imply that the rifle is intended for a conical bullet.

If your rifle is indeed a conical bullet shooter, then finding the proper paper patched bullet will become quite the research project. Then the various measurements come into play to determine the diameter of the bullet, the thickness of the paper and perhaps the size of an over powder wad.

Doesn't appear to be a fast twist ... 1/48 (50). The lands are not really parallel or opposite from each other, as I would expect, which is why I had trouble with my calibers to begin with. A 3/8ths drill is slightly loose and a 25/64th is snug but will only fit a 1/8th or so into the barrel. A .38 she be .... I'll need to work up a bore light so I can get a decent picture of the lands. I read somewhere and I believe it was in this forum that the rifling being "offset" was somewhat common ...but I can't remember why or what thread it was in. I am new to the forum (as well as ML) so I am still learning to navigate the site. (I'll learn to save those special tidbits of information .... ) Thks, again for you replies.

P.S. "Bore It out" !! No way. I get in enough trouble because I believe the bright work should be bright no matter what the age.

Last edited:
I stopped shooting an unmentionable revolver in .38 special. I have an overload of .38 cal plated bullets to offload. Would these work in such a rifle ?
They should be .358 diameter, and in a .360 barrel, that's mighty close. Plus they are likely bullet alloy, so swaging them onto the lands in the rifled barrel would be rather hard work.

LD

Well if they're a loose fit you can knurl them between 2 files to increase the dia a couple thousands. If they're a bit too snug you can buy a sizing die and resize them. I don't have my hands on my Seneca that I just got yet but you might be able to size them to something like .355 and be OK. I'd go with right at bore size and knurl for smething for the rifling to bite into.

Last edited:
Back