• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ball Moulds....Handles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just tried out my .660 RB mold from Larry Callahan and I really like it. Though the handles are a bit small, so it gets hot fast. Does anyone have any suggestions for any sort of handle or any ideas to prolong the time it takes to burn my hand? I have a couple of welding gloves, but those are far too awkward.

Try this! There may one in a kitchen drawer.

Attachments

• C9FCC0AF-11E3-461F-BF8A-3F29C74D092E.jpeg
    C9FCC0AF-11E3-461F-BF8A-3F29C74D092E.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
I wear deerskin gloves and alternate between making balls for my .54 and my .40 to let them cool down a bit...
I could always bounce back and forth between my .655 ballmould and .660 Callahan mold.
Yeah, I'm just gonna start calling them Callahan molds.

I use two medium leather glove and switch between them as needed, for my short handled molds

What are you using for handles (photo)? Callahan sells Lee gang mold handles which are available for far less in the US. If heat is an issue with these handles you are in the wrong business. Even if you were using the older Lyman handles (I don't even know if they will fit) which are much smaller than the current offering they still should remain cool enough to work with.

The leather wrap idea is def worth trying. At least it'll look halfway decent and when it does get a tad too warm, I can set the mold down and cast something else for a little bit.
I've got some molds from Larry and your right they do get hot but so did the originals. I wrap the handles on mine in about 5-6 oz leather and still at times need to wear leather gloves to hold the molds. I suppose in the 18th century they just grabbed what they had for the handles.

My Italian .44 molds Had handles about 4 inches long. A piece of half-inch conduit fit right over them snugly, so I just drilled and pin them on making them about eight or 10 inches long. Worked like a champ.
squint
I think I'll go with the leather option. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just tried out my .660 RB mold from Larry Callahan and I really like it. Though the handles are a bit small, so it gets hot fast. Does anyone have any suggestions for any sort of handle or any ideas to prolong the time it takes to burn my hand? I have a couple of welding gloves, but those are far too awkward.
I've dried out a couple of corn cobs and put those over the ends of the handles on my bag mold.

Back