• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few revolvers which were reamed to .456 by Charlie Hahn. They’re great shooters but I don’t like the way the .457 balls fit. That’s not so bad since most of the time I use a .458 homecast bullet from 195 to 245 grains weight. Still, I’ve wanted to make up my own round ball for field use, small game and so on. Problem is that the manufacturers skip right fro. 457 up to 485. After an internet search I located www.ballmolds.com and ordered a new .461” mold which should give me the nice ring of lead, load easily and offer the answer to all my prayers. Well, two of three would be good enough for me. All for less than 50 bucks shipping included.
In summary. If you have an oddball lurking around in need of ammo, this may be a solution. Happy hunting!

E7901669-8C24-4BB2-A17F-F434A4491DBA.jpeg

I bought two a couple of years ago. They work fine. You furnish the handles. Since there is no sprue cutter, you can cast like crazy. Then come back after the balls cool and cut the sprues off with wire cutters. I smoke mine in a candle flame to help the ball release from the mold.

I have a few revolvers which were reamed to .456 by Charlie Hahn. They’re great shooters but I don’t like the way the .457 balls fit. That’s not so bad since most of the time I use a .458 homecast bullet from 195 to 245 grains weight. Still, I’ve wanted to make up my own round ball for field use, small game and so on. Problem is that the manufacturers skip right fro. 457 up to 485. After an internet search I located www.ballmolds.com and ordered a new .461” mold which should give me the nice ring of lead, load easily and offer the answer to all my prayers. Well, two of three would be good enough for me. All for less than 50 bucks shipping included.
In summary. If you have an oddball lurking around in need of ammo, this may be a solution. Happy hunting!

View attachment 54748
I have lots of these moulds, but then I am in England and not too far from where they are made. Great ball moulds in any caliber you might want

I’m pretty stoked. The price, particularly considering the international shipping, can’t be beat! I wish they had a sprue plate but I guess I will develop a technique for cutting the sprue and ending up with balls of close to the same weight... any hints you care to share!?

I don’t want to knock England but we have a maker here in America that turns out custom molds. Calahanns bag molds of Missouri
I did look at those but the convenience of using my own wooden handles made it an easy choice. Cool company though.

I’m pretty stoked. The price, particularly considering the international shipping, can’t be beat! I wish they had a sprue plate but I guess I will develop a technique for cutting the sprue and ending up with balls of close to the same weight... any hints you care to share!?
A little bit off the subject, but I have an old steel mold that was purchased from Dixie gun works many years ago. Single ball, no sprue plate cutter but seemed like a pretty nice mold. I'm sure it's probably much similar to what was used two hundred years ago. Anyway, I heated it up, melted some waterpipe lead and poured about 21 good bullets that didn't have wrinkles in them from intermittent pouring. I took a pair of side cutters, grinding them flat on one side, I nipped off the sprue as close as I could, cutting it two different ways. Weighing the balls, they varied between 175.7Grains to 182.3 grains. Now we know that they probably couldn't weight their balls 200 years ago, so I have got them marked and I am going to shoot them when weather permits, which will probably be two months, and see how they work. Only one was 175.7. Two were at that heavy number. The rest of them were pretty uniform at about 176.3 to 176.8. When I get it done I will put the results back on this site.
Squint

Back