• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball mold - a nice looking failure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine just built a rifle using a Coleraine 50 caliber barrel - or so he thought. Turned out to be a ~49 caliber barrel. He emailed and asked me if I had a .485 or .480 mold. Of course I didn't. There's a man named Tanner in England who will make you any size mold ((no title)) out of brass, but I decided to give it a whirl. I ordered a 31/64" (0.484) ball end mill and fired up the lathe. Made a couple of brass hockey pucks with a rim/cutout that fit together and did a .242 plunge cut in each. Milled off flats on the edge and drilled and countersunk for a sprue hole. Milled a couple of slots in the sides for handles and drilled/tapped for 8-32 screws.

After I took the photos I chamfered the corners and honed the surface of the protruding side with a diamond sharpening hone.

Aaaannnd the ball end mill must have wandered by .005" because it was .485 pole to pole, but .495 around the equator. I'm going to try again with a smaller cutter. Pretty, though, if I may say so myself. And I used both my machine tools! Shop time is never wasted time.

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

Thanks, JHB. If my second attempt has an equal lack of success I'll refer my friend to Lee.

A friend of mine just built a rifle using a Coleraine 50 caliber barrel - or so he thought. Turned out to be a ~49 caliber barrel. He emailed and asked me if I had a .485 or .480 mold. Of course I didn't. There's a man named Tanner in England who will make you any size mold ((no title)) out of brass, but I decided to give it a whirl. I ordered a 31/64" (0.484) ball end mill and fired up the lathe. Made a couple of brass hockey pucks with a rim/cutout that fit together and did a .242 plunge cut in each. Milled off flats on the edge and drilled and countersunk for a sprue hole. Milled a couple of slots in the sides for handles and drilled/tapped for 8-32 screws.

After I took the photos I chamfered the corners and honed the surface of the protruding side with a diamond sharpening hone.

Aaaannnd the ball end mill must have wandered by .005" because it was .485 pole to pole, but .495 around the equator. I'm going to try again with a smaller cutter. Pretty, though, if I may say so myself. And I used both my machine tools! Shop time is never wasted time.

View attachment 196022

View attachment 196024

View attachment 196026

View attachment 196027
"...Nice looking failure"

I disagree. It is nice looking. But failure?
Did you learn something in the process?
Do the cuts and slots and such you made for the mold handles fit properly? Do the two halves close properly?
If the answer to any one of those questions is, yes, I would deem it a success. Any 2 or more, a great success.

"...Nice looking failure"

I disagree. It is nice looking. But failure?
Did you learn something in the process?
Do the cuts and slots and such you made for the mold handles fit properly? Do the two halves close properly?
If the answer to any one of those questions is, yes, I would deem it a success. Any 2 or more, a great success.
Thanks, Brokennock. I cast a dozen balls and left them with my friend. He's going to try them out. If they shoot straight I'll cast him some more.

I'm actually quite pleased with the fit and functionality of the piece. When I first fitted the halves together (before the sprue hole) I could feel the air pressure and then the suction when I pulled them apart. I'm going to try a different technique for centering the ball end cutter and see how close to the cutter diameter I can get. It's a good winter project.

Rex,
If you try it again with that same cutter, make sure your tailstock is on the same axis as the headstock. It would even pay to put the cutter in the tailstock chuck then use an indicator clamped in the headstock chuck to make sure it is on center. And last but not least, orient your cutter (if it is two flute) with the flutes on the sides, not top and bottom. Many lathes have just enough wear on the bottom of the tailstock that it will be low which could cause an overbore situation.
My 2 cents, for what it's worth.
Brett

Rex,
If you try it again with that same cutter, make sure your tailstock is on the same axis as the headstock. It would even pay to put the cutter in the tailstock chuck then use an indicator clamped in the headstock chuck to make sure it is on center. And last but not least, orient your cutter (if it is two flute) with the flutes on the sides, not top and bottom. Many lathes have just enough wear on the bottom of the tailstock that it will be low which could cause an overbore situation.
My 2 cents, for what it's worth.
Brett
Good advice, Cheyenne. I think my tailstock needs a rebuild just to tighten it up in general. I don't think it's off center, I think it's a couple of thousandths loose.

Good advice, Cheyenne. I think my tailstock needs a rebuild just to tighten it up in general. I don't think it's off center, I think it's a couple of thousandths loose.
That's a good looking mold for a first attempt; better than I could do!

I just happened to use a ball endmill in my lathe today and I had the same issue: the worn tailstock couldn't hold it rigidly enough. Technically, we shouldn't be holding endmills in the tailstock anyway, but we do what we have to! ;)

Another way to try would be to hold the endmill in the toolholder somehow and line it up on center. A lot of machinists like to do that with drill bits so they can drill with the carriage.

What about this?: Use your mill to cut the pockets and then chuck each half in the lathe, indicate off the pockets, and then turn the shoulders. Or you could cut the shoulders in situ in the mill with a boring head. Just a thought.

Hey Tyler,

I started by using the tailstock and then switched to the tool holder. Tried my best to center it, but my best wasn't good enough. I have some ideas, though.

Tip for others crazy enough to try this: I needed to do a 0.242" plunge, but was getting some chatter. I did a powered plunge to about 0.230" and then turned off the lathe, loosened the drive belt, and cut the last few thousandths rotating by hand.

Back