• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ball Creep

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was shooting my rifle today and with each shot, fouling increased and the ramrod would not go quite as far down as it did with the shot before. Like one shot 1 the rammer would go all the way down. On shot 5 it would sit above the mark I made on the ramrod by about a halved inch.

Thoughts?

Dutch’s theory (@Dr5x) about fouling building up in the barrel. Swab or use a wetter patch lube. Many claim swabbing isn’t necessary, but all the top accuracy shooters seem to do it. Crud ring is even worse with subs like 777.

My thought would be to wipe after every shot. After that, consider the type/brand and granulation of the powder.

What kind of lube are you using?

Are your patches dry?

I fired 35 shots at my last shoot, wiping after every 3 to 5 shots.

I was using Hornadys One Shot for lube and have had similar results using spit...

My patches are damp and clean the bore when I load the round ball and no crud ring. Might want try a little damper patch

Fleener

Normal with round ball if your wiping isn't effective. It's worse with subs so stick with the holy black when possible

Its likely simply that the fouling in the breech simply makes the powder a little higher in the bore. Gaps less that 2" are not likely to cause an issue, in a sound barrel. For example, the Gov't proof of iron Rifle Musket barrels was 200 gr of Musket Powder and a 500 gr Minie spaced 2" off the powder. If you are wiping you need to understand that a larger patch on a slightly smaller jag will let the patch "run over" the fouling going to the breech then bunch up and pull the fouling out when its with drawn. Using a TIGHT patch will push it all to the breech. This requires a lot of water to wash out.

Thanks all, using Track of the Wolf mink oil and Graf's 3Fg real BP, only 35grs in a .40 cal. Thinking my jag and patch are too tight and based on other recommendations, I'm going to try a wet spit patch and a tighter ball and patch combo. It's just so dry here, like -2% humidity. I'm thinking I need to introduce more moisture.

When yer at the range or just plinking I would give ya the best advise you could get if you'll take it. Just lube with Hoppes #9 BP solvent and patch lube. Will NOT find a better product in MHO. As you load you swipe the entire barrel and thus have a pretty consistent shooting situation with every shot. For long term loads like hunting or personal protection Hoppes will dry out (after contaminating the load) and I use Dutchs system. You can load a few his way (w/o wiping) and for the most part hunting or PP yer a one and done rifleman anyway?

When yer at the range or just plinking I would give ya the best advise you could get if you'll take it. Just lube with Hoppes #9 BP solvent and patch lube. Will NOT find a better product in MHO. As you load you swipe the entire barrel and thus have a pretty consistent shooting situation with every shot. For long term loads like hunting or personal protection Hoppes will dry out (after contaminating the load) and I use Dutchs system. You can load a few his way (w/o wiping) and for the most part hunting or PP yer a one and done rifleman anyway?

I'm a target shoother and plinker mostly. I was hoping to use more period correct methods to load, but might make a "modern consession" and try the Hoppes BP stuff. Another thing is I'd like to load from the pouch someday soon and thatd complicate things with a liquid lube (that's not generated by my mouth).

I'm a target shoother and plinker mostly. I was hoping to use more period correct methods to load, but might make a "modern consession" and try the Hoppes BP stuff. Another thing is I'd like to load from the pouch someday soon and thatd complicate things with a liquid lube (that's not generated by my mouth).

I recycled a small squeeze bottle. I think it was for eye drops originally, but I've used it so long I can't remember. I filled it with Hoppes, and it rides in my bag. It has a snap top and has never leaked in the bag. I just squeeze an X of Hoppes across the patch and roll the patch between my fingers to spread it across the patch. It gives me a damp patch for wiping.

I use equal parts of rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and Murphy oil soap. I use old percussion tins to keep my pre soaked patches in that I wet prior to shooting.

Fleener

Latest posts

Back