• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to know if they ever used denim in the 1800’s for ball bags and possible bags.I have made myself ball bags out of denim and they are very durable just finished a hunting possible bag out of denim going to boil up some black walnuts and diy it just to see how it turns out.My father in-law is a Chippewa Native American and has handed down to me many things and not all are made of hides some things are textile.

I'm sure they did, IIRC, denim is 1830's.
But fabric being used for the items you describe is kind of flimsy as is some light hides.
Usually heavier fabrics and hides/leather hold shape better when in actual use.

I'm sure they did, IIRC, denim is 1830's.
But fabric being used for the items you describe is kind of flimsy as is some light hides.
Usually heavier fabrics and hides/leather hold shape better when in actual use.
I have to say i made two ball bags about three years ago from denim and they are very sturdy I did use high quality denim I also rubbed with bees wax and lard.I use these ball bags a lot and they don’t show any wear I was told by my father in-laws mother they used what was available on the reservation they were striped of there hunting grounds so hides were not as available as they were in the past.

I've made some shot pouches for use with my smooth rifle. I used thin, (kid like) glove leather. They are real flexible and work great. When dumping shot into the measure, you can do so by wiggling your fingers to slowly move the pellets into the measure. The hard leather ones I used were hard to control when dumping into a measure. If you have an English or Irish shot measure, there is a valve to control the charge. As always it IS a preference to what one likes to use.

Being my persona is form the 175os, you dont want to know what they used for a ball sack.
I do not like stuff flopping around me when Im treking, so I bought an English flowing bag. It attaches to the belt, and has an inside pocket for round ball.

Latest posts

Back