• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Balancing Springs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone revived a necro thread, which I started reading, and in one of the first couple of posts, someone mentioned the concept of Traditions flintlock needing to have their springs balanced. Does that refer to adjusting the tension of the main and frizzen springs to achieve a force of impact of the flint against the frizzen so you get sparks but don't beat the flint to pieces prematurely?

The balancing of the springs will also hold the frizzen against the flint to get the most sparks, yet not be so weak as to fly away from the flint edge on impact (reducing sparks) nor fly back to strike the flint on the rebound and shatter the flint. You don't want the feather (frizzen) spring to be so strong that the pan is prevented from fully opening.

I have a traditions Shenandoah flintlock rifle. The frizzen often did not fully open and it had iffy ignition. I removed the frizzen and spring and polished both with emery cloth and then a small buffing wheel. It made a world of difference. The frizzen now opens fully when struck by the flint with reliable ignition of the pan powder and charge.

Thank you both for your insights. I have been getting very reliable ignition from my Trapper, but with the flints only being good for about 30 shots on it, I'm thinking I'll have to carefully polish down the top convex side of the main spring to thin it and reduce the tension a smidgen. It seems that the frizzen can open all the way with a good bit less force than is being exerted against it.

I had a lock that was shattering flints until I polished and "weakened" the frizzen spring. Now it shoots well and flints last a lot longer.

I had a lock that was shattering flints until I polished and "weakened" the frizzen spring. Now it shoots well and flints last a lot longer.
I'm glad to hear that that technique is valid. I'll definitely have that on my agenda in the near future. I think I'm going to work on both springs. The mainspring has some pretty serious force behind it as well.

Latest posts

Back