• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bakers Half Dozen, June 2015

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Let's get another contest going.

This time we will use rifles at 50 yards. You can use a smoothbore if you like, but no handicaps will be given.

Originally I was thinking best of 13. Then I realized how hard that might be to score with one ragged hole right in the center of all of those targets... :wink: So...

Take 8 Shots at the center of a 8.5"x 11" sheet of typing/printer paper with an X drawn thru the center at 50 yards. If you miss, do not try again. Misses count!

Each shot will be measured from center of target to center of hole. The best 5 measurements will be added together for your score.

One target entry per member.

8 shots per target, hit or miss.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 8 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

Mail your target postmarked by July 10, 2015 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

targets with more than 8 holes will be disqualified.
And fewer than 8? If I miss the paper with three shots and send it with five...that's all I need, yes??

(I have eight tries to get five good shots in.Let's just say that my first five shots are right in the middle of the X (not likely...but) and since only the best five are added for the score...do I need to take shots 6-8? Doesn't seem so. )
Pete

You got it right Pete. :thumbsup:

If there are LESS than 5 holes in the target after your eight shots (more likely? :wink: ) your target will be entered in the "less than 5" category according to how many holes there are.

You were right, Jim. Those "bad influences" really messed with my aim today when I fired the Baker's Half Dozen match. At least all 8 shots hit the target, one barely so, but not my best day at all. I.e., I did better with a smooth rifle @ 50 yd. last month than I did with my Isaac Haines [rifle] today. I'll say one thing for those bad influences, they taught me a valuable lesson today that I'll not soon forget. To wit, .535" RBs and my Rice .54cal. bbl. ain't a good mix, but "they" insisted I use them. :(

I shot my target today.

As I was pulling it down I noticed 3 clean evenly spaced holes down the right side. They're all smaller than 45 cal holes & used to hold the paper in a binder. Doh'

I hope you'll accept it.

I used my new 45 cal kentucky flinter. 2nd time I've used it.

Studit said:
As I was pulling it down I noticed 3 clean evenly spaced holes down the right side. They're all smaller than 45 cal holes & used to hold the paper in a binder. Doh'

Hey Jethro this sounds like a good shootin contest. Punch the paper for a note book. Three evenly spaced holes down the side of the paper. What do you think?

Studit said:
I shot my target today.

I hope you'll accept it.

I used my new 45 cal kentucky flinter. 2nd time I've used it.

:haha: I'll accept that. Binder holes don't count.

MDK_WV said:
Studit said:

Hey Jethro this sounds like a good shootin contest. Punch the paper for a note book. Three evenly spaced holes down the side of the paper. What do you think?

:hmm: Mysteriously, there are a whole lot of brand new .22 caliber muzzleloaders in circulation... and lots of evenly spaced holes along the borders of targets. :haha:

Actually it might just make a good contest. I'd hafta figger out exactly how to go about scoring it tho.

Target is in the mail.

No note just the target with my screen name on it and the date.

According to Australia Post it should take 3 to 10 days. I was too tight to pay the $81.30 to get it there by Tuesday.

That would be a kilo of black powder & countless hours of fun wasted on postage.

$81.30 to get it there by Tuesday.

:shocked2: I don't blame you.

Plenty of time. It just has to be postmarked by the 10th according to the rules for this one. I always give it a week or more beyond the postmark deadline before I reveal the scores. Gotta give the pony express time to get 'em here.
Plus, it annoys .58caliber when he has to wait for the results. :haha:

Here I am slow again. This time I got a good excuse...
I been rendezvousin', drinkin', and shootin'.

But, the fun always comes to an end. So, I came home.

And... here are the results;

Stormcloud whupped up on everybody and came in 1st with 5.727" :hatsoff:

George Walker placed 2nd with 11.490"

And Maven was right on his heels with 11.795" for 3rd.

MDK_WV comes in 4th with 12.608"

And Studit 5th with 21.188"
We gotta give credit to Studit for being the farthest away entry, our first from Australia. And he probly deserves bonus points 'cause ya gotta figger in the fact that he's shootin' upside down. :shocked2:
:haha:

Thanks for playing. Hope to see you all in the next shoot. :hatsoff:

Where were you, Dave? :idunno:

Thanks Jethro for another great shoot to compete in. It was fun and provided me with a relaxing time alone out on the prairie (the gun range) with my rifle, a few curious prairie dogs, and a golden eagle soaring high while mournfully singing his lonesome song. I look forward to the next shoot. George

Thanks Jethro for another fine shoot. Congratulations to Storm Cloud, that is good shooting :thumbsup: and to all of the others as well. :hatsoff:

Thanks! I have been practicing for our bluegrass games.We shot it last wk end it was alot of fun.Looking forward to the next match,Thanks Jethro :)

Thanks Jethro and the rest of the shooters for making the comp.

My first real shoot with a flinter and I loved it.

I hope you held my target the right way up when you marked it Jethro. I could have come 1st :hmm: :grin:

Latest posts

Back