• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Baker Rifle sling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artificer thanks for the info. The one i have shown isn’t correct and I didn’t know.
I have a trs Baker Calvary carbine on order, would it be the same style?
The answer is probably not as they had an Iron bar and sliding ring set up for a sling on the left side of the stock.

Scroll down this page:
http://www.xixld.com/19th-historical-relics.html

and this:

1663026513834.png

Last edited:
Found a man in England from one of YouTube video's by britishmuzzleloaders and he specializes in making period correct slings.
True, the video isn't about the Baker Rifle but the Brown Bess, but it does have the link that I wanted to show.
He does have several video's on the Baker Rifle. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

In the "More" section under the YouTube video, he gave this guy as a resource for slings:

Laurence at Shedtime Leather for slings and other projects-
https://www.facebook.com/shedtimecrafts/

Found a man in England from one of YouTube video's by britishmuzzleloaders and he specializes in making period correct slings.
True, the video isn't about the Baker Rifle but the Brown Bess, but it does have the link that I wanted to show.
He does have several video's on the Baker Rifle. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

In the "More" section under the YouTube video, he gave this guy as a resource for slings:

From the leatherworking site:

"In this photo, 1 3/8" Square wire harness buckles without roller made from 1 1/4" cast harness roller buckles."

He is doing what I proposed earlier by removing the roller from cast brass roller buckles. The rollers appear to be made from sheet brass and one could cold chisel or use other tools to remove the rollers.

Gus

Edited to add: I would also propose when removing rollers, that one works on the side of the buckle that will lay on the leather strap. That way if you do slightly damage the buckle when removing the roller, it won't be seen once the sling is assembled onto the rifle.

Last edited:
BTW, I don't mean to disparage folks.

What I'm trying to do is encourage folks to make their own slings as it is one of the easiest period leather working projects you can do. This is especially true if one has already done even a little leather working or wishes to explore doing it.

Gus

BTW, I don't mean to disparage folks.

What I'm trying to do is encourage folks to make their own slings as it is one of the easiest period leather working projects you can do. This is especially true if one has already done even a little leather working or wishes to explore doing it.

Gus
No offense taken and agree your point is well made.
My intention was to show that there artisans out there that have extensive knowledge of a limited subset of the firearms industry and can be a resource if you want to get absolutely guaranteed authentic gear.

Hello. I have a TRS Baker rifle kit I am working on. This may be a long shot, but does anyone know the look/dimensions/specs of a proper sling for this rifle? Been looking at British Muzzleloaders on Utube, which has great info on the Baker, but no mention of sling description. If anyone makes these, may I get a reference? Or, if anyone has specs, and can provide, I can make one. Thanks much. If you have pictures, that would be great.

Every one of my historic and replica BP rifles has correct pattern slings made by Laurence White here in England. His products are made to the exact same patterns as the originals held in the Royal Armouries and MoD Pattern Room. Post#25 refers.

Here is one of Laurence's fine slings on my original Pritchett rifle, one of the last he made before he went bust and took up water-colour painting for HM Queen Victoria. Apparently he was quite good.

1663363657363.png

Since I don't know where you are, please be advised that there is another craftsman whose products are at the same level based in BC. Rob Enfield's guest shooter on a recent programme he made about the last Fenian 'invasion' of Canada had his guest fully-equipped with totally correct leatherwork.

You might get in touch with Rob to get his contact details. If you do, tell him I sent you. The gentleman's name is FNU Branko, BTW.

Last edited:
No offense taken and agree your point is well made.
My intention was to show that there artisans out there that have extensive knowledge of a limited subset of the firearms industry and can be a resource if you want to get absolutely guaranteed authentic gear.
Thank you and I do applaud you for letting folks know about such artisans.

Gus

Every one of my historic and replica BP rifles has correct pattern slings made by Laurence White here in England. His products are made to the exact same patterns as the originals held in the royal Armouries and MoD Pattern Room. Post#25 refers.

Here is one of Laurence's fine slings on my original Pritchett rifle, one of the last he made before he went bust and took up water-colour paining for HM Queen Victoria. Apparently he was quite good.

View attachment 162692

Since I don't know where you are, please be advised that there is another craftsman whose products are at the same level based in BC. Rob Enfield's guest shooter on a recent programme he made about the last Fenian 'invasion' of Canada had his guest fully-equipped with totally correct leatherwork.

You might get in touch with Rob to get his contact details. If you do, tell him I sent you. The gentleman's name is FNU Branko, BTW.

Very interesting sling, thanks for posting that, as well as another artisan source.

Gus

Hello. I have a TRS Baker rifle kit I am working on. This may be a long shot, but does anyone know the look/dimensions/specs of a proper sling for this rifle? Been looking at British Muzzleloaders on Utube, which has great info on the Baker, but no mention of sling description. If anyone makes these, may I get a reference? Or, if anyone has specs, and can provide, I can make one. Thanks much. If you have pictures, that would be great.
Hi Frod,
I've only just joined this forum and found this question.
I have an exact copy made from an original early 19th century Baker. It is 100% accurate.
Total length = 50 inches
Width = 1¼ inches

It has a curious little leather 'button' on one end that goes into a slotted hole.
I've added some pics.
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Sling 1.jpg
    Sling 1.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Sling 2.jpg
    Sling 2.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Sling 3.jpg
    Sling 3.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0