• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker rifle powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Good day all,
Does anyone have info on what the original Baker rifle powder horns looked like? I watched the Baker series by BritishMuzzleloaders on Utube and got some idea. Are there any pictures in existence of originals? Thanks.

Good day all,
Does anyone have info on what the original Baker rifle powder horns looked like? I watched the Baker series by BritishMuzzleloaders on Utube and got some idea. Are there any pictures in existence of originals? Thanks.

Were Bakers not the first military rifle to use pre-manned cartridges/cartouches?

Last edited:
Think they started with powder horn, later paper cartridges. BritishMuzzleloaders on youtube has a great series on the Baker rifle, FYI.

Pinning down the issue Baker powder horns is a quest like the holy Grail! . They not being Ordnance supplied rather Regimental purchases The large Horn seems to be essentially a Magazine supply. The Small in the pocket flask might be copper body or Lanthorn .like the known Percy Tennentry examples though they where Not for a Baker rather a Foreign rifle . .Rod uses a Italian Florenteen' brass flask its Not correct but there seems NO definatly correct issue flask or horn . unless some long covered over Rifleman surfaces we might never know & even then they must have varied . Does that help ? No it dosnt but in Major Myatt's book a popular general gun book It shews an E I Coy flask for a Fusil or some sort that is as close & as likley the right pattern & Ide plump for that ditto the Horn I once made for a reenactor . Bernard Shaw noted UK horner reckoned the Horn carried a pound . He did 95th years before the Sharpes Series as did Richard Moore who was engaged by Celtic films as Advisor . And he & Armourer Bill Whitlam appear on the films togged in their own uniforms they don't have speaking parts but certainly helped to keep the films more authentic . . Thats Me Baker'd out for today.
Regards Rudyard

Thanks. It seems to me on an auction site, there were pictures of what purportedly was a Baker powder horn. I think i may have saved some pictures. If I can find them, I will post them.

Please do , Some of the greatest minds in this subject are eager to pin down the correct pattern horns supplied but I expect its a question never likley to be precisely resolved .. Though I don't qualifie, Ime interested it solveing this puzzle too
Regards Rudyard

Here are some pics i found. The last one is on a flyleaf of a book shown. It is from a book: Info given: "Pattern Powderhorn for Light Infantry .... Drs of Powder) ... E. Baker -1819 Book was published by Salamander Books Ltd. 1979, 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AF. Picture research: Jonathan Moore. If one could locate this book, perhaps there is further info. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.30.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.30.15 AM.png
    418.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.30.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.30.31 AM.png
    341.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.30.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.30.43 AM.png
    359.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.35.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.35.58 AM.png
    389.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.37.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.37.14 AM.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 0
That is the book I earlier mention Major Myatts one I seem to recall the charger is for 6 drams & could be an East India Co one' are you sure the E Baker reference relates to this horn flask ?. I have the book Ile look it up . Be great to pin it down but short of better documents or a whole berried Rifle man it won't be easy . Regards Rudyard

TRS apparently sell the castings for the powder horn, though I’ve been trying to order the set from them for the last two years without success (along with a British Heavy Dragoon Pistol build kit.......)

My above post sums up as far as seems likley the type of issue horn supplied at company level .What TRS offer I don't know the horns where not supplied by Ordnance and pinning down the 'Right' Horn is ever ellusive ( Believe me I' mix ' with noted experts ) I went &' did' Waterloo in 1995 camped with both Companies of 95th & KGL none had the correct looking horn useually a horn topped with some common flask type top . Even the illustrious' Rob' uses a small size Florentine common top Italian flask . but the lanthorn Percy Tenantry or similar copper pocket flask the Horn prouveing more useful as a magazine horn .Doing 95th you might know Adrian he did Waterloo a couple of times lives Melbourne way.
Regards Rudyard

Back