• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker Rifle builds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bill, not sure what you mean by “real” black powder but it doesn’t seem difficult to source black powder here, albeit for a pretty penny: WANO 2F and 3F comes in at around $139.00 AUD for 1kg / 2.2lb
$130.00 (Australian) is currently worth $91.00 (U.S.). That's about $41.36 USD per pound so, you folks in the US shouldn't gripe too loudly when you find real black powder for $20/lb.

FWIW my Volunteer has a stub twist barrel.
Dear Raewald . You know I wrote of service arms viz Govt issue. Not Volunteers , commercial guns THEY can be gold plated if the buyer wanted and stub twist is not' Damascus. 'Your just joshing I know that .
Regards Rudyard the Damascus devotee !

Boston Bill Powder here in NZ seems high but their is the' Holy Smoke' NZ made besides Goex & the Swiss . available Are you popping down to these latitudes ? .
Regards Rudyard

why is there a large chunk of wood left on the stock ?
As Mike says. The stock is quite roughly finished overall and there’s quite a bit of work still to do to scribe and let in all the parts that attach to it before sanding the stock smooth and finishing it.

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi Bill, not sure what you mean by “real” black powder but it doesn’t seem difficult to source black powder here, albeit for a pretty penny: WANO 2F and 3F comes in at around $139.00 AUD for 1kg / 2.2lb
Real black powder versus substitute black powder alternatives. That is kind of pricey. I just bought a mixed lot of black powder that averaged approx $35 per pound for 4 pounds. Where I live in Massachusetts you have to drive somewhere out of state or buy it online.

Back