• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Baker rifle build question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have begun my TRS Baker rifle build. A question. The rifle has a two piece breech section. A plug is already installed in the barrel, and the part with the tang where the plug inserts itself has a long vertical bar extending downward towards the trigger guard area. I believe this has something to do with the ranrod spring. Am I correct in assuming this? There is a screw that will go upward through the trigger guard ahead of the trigger, which I presume will provide attachmet for the ramrod spring, AND, will thread into the bottom of the tang vertical piece mentioned above? Any help is appreciated.

Well that' false breach 'is to connect to the trigger guard nothing to do with the ramrod which ends before it reaches the false breach .Off hand I don't recall a spring to hold the rod the bulbous portion of the rod towards the muzzle has more to do with it . If there where a spring it would be in one of the pipes or if like the 53 Enfield & others have a spoon or roller affair .My old one had lost its fore end so I had to scarfe on an extension (It had been seriously 'Bubba ed' to near death !) So I can't but guess what that portion might have had . Knowing the thoroughness of TRS if there wasn't a rod spring in the set there most likely wasn't one .Ile look at mine later . Trust that helps.
Rudyard

Thanks for the response. In looking at the TRS parts list, it does mention a ramrod spring (for trigger guard). I have not dug into all the parts yet, will do so shortly. Thanks.

Frod,
The extension at the bottom of the breech section is inlet into the breech of the stock and is pined in place to keep the breech section in the stock when the barrel is removed. The pin is run from the lock inlet through the extension out the opposite side flat. It usually exits behind the side plate or very near to the side plate.
Regards,
Peter

Does the screw going through the front of the trigger guard attached to this extension?

Well I just took my original pre 1805 Baker apart there is no roller or spoon arrangement nor can I see a crossways pin head that went through the false breech extension and since there must have been a threaded portion in it I can only assume it being early. I naturally secured my long since Bubba robbed guard with a screw into that threaded hole . ( All the brass except the wrist escution & the side plate being robbed & lost) besides the fore end cut to half stock & whittled to within the middle to take a band probably a Springfield one hence I had to make a long scarfed join to restore the whole fore end .For good measure he had cut of every loop & even the sights. but I renewed the entire and its tidy now .I had to make oversized wood patterns of the missing brass have them cast in yellow brass & fettle the parts so they fitted the inletting Not an easy way to go but the rifle is near good as new , If there is a spring & the rod seems to ride over something but its way down by the first key .Brer Peter seem familiar with the TRS Bakers .My rod hole is not the slotted sort doubt less some later ones that do have exposed rod Channel's might well have some sort of spring catch mounted next the guard . I do remember it being square and substantial with a female thread it wouldn.t have needed to be that stout if it was a simple through pin . perhaps ask TRS ? Though Peter I expect has the answer . lots of luck you' le need it .
Regards Rudyard

I have completed one TRS Baker and have another on the bench. TRS Baker is my most difficult parts set build so far. There are many interdependent parts that must be inletted correctly for the others to fit. A parts placement error will cascade to the next step. It is very complicated and the stock precarving is done crudely. This makes it harder to do right. The next step for the OP is get a copy of the plans.

The barrel channel was crooked in both parts sets. The barrel channel is not centered which encourages warping. Use the barrel to straighten the channel. Inlet the barrel based on measurements and in short sections. Draw file the barrel first. Both of my barrels have a depression in the outside contour. You may want to work on that. I suspect that is where the stead rest was used. Heads up, the barrel channel is a hair oversized in the breech area opposite the lock side, do not remove wood there. The barrel is not centered in the stock in the lock area.

The vertical tang extension is centered in the barrel channel, trust the TRS pilot hole. You must or the trigger guard will not fit. The ramrod retention spring is secured between the trigger guard and the tang extension. Center the trigger guard/ spring threaded hole in the vertical extension. Confirm the tang extension is straight and parallel to the top and the flat for the lock pan boss first. Make it so if needed. One of mine slumped in casting. The pre inlet for the front of the trigger guard is oversized in one area and vague as to placement.

Attachments

• DSCN0423.JPG
    DSCN0423.JPG
    736.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I do have the plans, and saw the ramrod spring. Wasnt sure if the front trigger guard screw threaded into the tang vertical extension. Kinda looks like it did.

Well looks like lle have to take the guard off and fit a spring though it doesn't seem loose. From the utter wreck it was to its current state was quite a journey I should perhaps post it for interest sake .
Regards Rudyard

No problem sir. Take your time. Just interested in the work you have done. Blessings!

OK try this pics re My Baker restoration photo show before & after of Baker & other pieces the others show current & part on state all the brass bar side plate & escution where missing so I made oversize woodern patterns over had them cast casting fettled to inlets robbed out No wood being removed Quite a task but I think I got away with it ? the fore stock scarfe join is visible if not too bad This was one of the post Waterloo Bakers altered to take a socket B net by Ordnance from serviceable pre 1805 Bakers .Every loop & sights had been filed off by Bubba unknown & what was in his head . I doubt He knew !.Oh the lock was in a dealers case at Allentown he asked 'a bill' & think I gave him 90$ it was detented and the correct 'extra 'Lock type . So wasn't all up hill !.
Regards Rudyard .
Nope got it wrong wait till youngest daughter gets home !

1671095369433.png

1671095349527.png

1671095281493.png

1671095267765.png

1671095249593.png

Thanks for the pics. Now working on fitting the tang to stock with the long tab reaching down to the trigger guard. Interesting construction, these Bakers. Challenging part now is getting the tang piece to fit flush with end of barrel.

Well what I do is glue or wedge tight with a braas wedge so that the tang (Actally False breach ) is as one with the barrel then stock it as one .When finally home in place remove the joined parts and ' Bobs your uncle' its all lined up nice . Use soot to coat the parts this then shows where wood needs removeing . did you spot the join? .
Regards Rudyard

Well looks like lle have to take the guard off and fit a spring though it doesn't seem loose. From the utter wreck it was to its current state was quite a journey I should perhaps post it for interest sake .
Regards Rudyard
Rudyard,
Is the slot in trigger plate not centered on the original rifle?
Scota4570

Rudyard,
Is the slot in trigger plate not centered on the original rifle?
Scota4570
Dear Scota .Ile look & see if very common to be off set in guns due to the scear length in my case the trigger plate & trigger where robbed & only the wrist escution & the side plate remained of it' s original brass the current brass is all my addition if in keeping I sent pics to Frod not sure if you saw them .Just looked for you yes its central trust that helps.
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back