• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Baker Rifle arrived

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Baker rifle finally arrived. From the Rifle Shoppe, and assembled by Larry Cruise in Nebraska. Looks great! Now to get the items I need to shoot it.
He's recommending 3F for primer and barrel instead of 4F for pan and 2F for barrel. Says that's how he shot it with 65g. Figure I'd start with that.
Mike's Baker.JPG

Attachments

• Mike's Baker.JPG
    Mike's Baker.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 100
From a period military perspective, you could use 2f in the pan also at a very slight cost in terms of delay in firing the main charge. As for modern usage, the 3fg in the pan makes good sense. Since the builder is recommending that procedure, that's where to begin with the load development.

Good looking rifle by the way.

I strongly advise you to look at friend Rob on Youtube, and his truly fascinating and immensely valuable series on not only shooting the Baker rifle, but the various ways of making ammunition for it in cartridge form. His channel - britishmuzzleloaders - should be required reading/watching for anybody interested in British military arms, drill and and tactics from the Brown Bess, right up to the unmentionables - ALL carried out in correct period uniforms as well.

Beautiful Baker. I too would recommend Rob`s YouTube site

Rob (Britishmuzzleloaders) is using a 1 in 105 inch twist barrel, which is the original British Ordnance standard. The Rifle Shoppe usually furnishes a 1 in 66 inch twist radius .62 rifled barrel of Colerain manufacture with their Baker part sets. Wouldn't be surprised to find that the 66" twist shoots more accurately than the 105. I have not yet fired my left hand TRS-built Baker at 100 yards, but the test target furnished by TRS is pretty impressive.

eb700b2251e7af7c81ce21ed136236da.jpg
f4a0bf49d36fab15986d1cd67f558747.jpg
8604786ee1c348557c368f5b31b75bea.jpg
b009b454bcf5cfcab0a40bca40ef2ac9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could not edit my post above. Meant to say The Rifle Shoppe furnishes a 1 in 66 inch twist radius-rifled Colerain barrel. The radius rifling can be seen in the last photo above. Between each land is a shallow concave groove, which helps prevent the build-up of fouling. Other choices are available.

Pre 1905 large tool & patch box. Looks OK Rob tried leather patches but I believe the usual material was stout cloth & Bakers Book says the fit should not be so tight that it requires more than ordinary force. 1in 66" pitch might shoot better but its not what they had and its a BAKER rifle none having left handed locks but the patron is allways right . And Ime sure it will serve you admirably ..
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Back