• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Baker rifle and touch hole liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for going to the trouble of explaining that, it is indeed quite interesting.

I’m not sure that there is any sort of "inner shoulder" for the breech plug in the Baker barrel other than where the tapping for the plug thread ends. A borescope shot that I took early on to see if the V had already been cut (as indicated on the plan) suggests that there’s nothing present that would seal the threads, particularly in the rifling grooves, other than the potential quality of the thread itself...???

Although the plug does have a narrower end than the thread, I’m thinking that at some point the thread would open into the barrel, particularly if it happens to open into a rifling groove. Does that sound feasible?

View attachment 276829
The diagram drawing shows a bottom tapped thread which indicates a shoulder of some kind which may very well be a radius corner on the breech plug face instead of a square shoulder. I don't see any hint of a thread into the bore of land or groove in your bore scope picture.
It looks like a butt joint on a rounded off corner of the plug face.
One would expect to see a thread end in land or groove from a bottom tap if there was no shoulder to conceal it.

Greetings all,
I have a Baker rifle kit from TRS, and just getting around to start working on it. Thinking about installing a touch hole liner. However, the Baker has a round barrel. Anywone installed a liner on a Baker? White Lightning? Issues?

I was able to take a look at some original bakers, two them had had brass bushings that I supposed you would call vent liners, i would try to make one out of brass if you can, the brass can be set into the steel very tightly and easily be replaced.

Otherwise, not a fan of steel vent liners unless its to correct a problem.

Hopefully Scota@457 might chime in here as he seems to have the most relevant recent experience on this topic. I hope he doesn’t mind me quoting him here but on another thread ( Anyone have a TRS Baker flintlock rifle? ) he pointed out:

Also, the drawings suggest that the V notch for the vent has been pre-cut into the plug but given what Scota@457 found with his builds I just had a look at mine with a (very cheap) borescope and I can’t see any indication of the V notch having been pre-cut in mine either

View attachment 167240

View attachment 167241
IF it were me I think I would put in a taper foreword vent entering the bore ahead of the breech plug face. I wouldn't have thought of it before encountering this Miruku flint pistol that works so well.
No need for a liner to begin with anyway !

Back