• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

baker lean toooo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b737tvc

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one out there have an easy way of putting up a baker lean to. This is a real challenge for the first time and Im looking for tips.

BT

I don't think there is an easy way, they are great tents but best for a camp you'll be at for a while. I think years ago day one in camp was spent putting up the tent, chopping fire woods, etc.

Fwiw, I don't think that there is an easy way. = Fyi, I used to "live in a Baker" every Summer when I was a Camp Director for the BSA in Arkansas.
(The 12x12 Baker with the "big overhang" seemed quite "homey" at the time, complete with Army cot, folding card table, 4 folding chairs, a footlocker, a set of dominos, clothesline, 2 propane lanterns & a cooking area & outdoor WC nearby.= Our camp, in those long ago days/DAZE, was quite "basic" with only a camp HQ/"PX"/health lodge in one building.)

yours, satx

They are a two person job. At times only one to do it. You can try putting lashing the front together then lashing one of the side poles in place. Should you have some line you can use some staked stays to keep it steady till you can tie on the body. Practice up and down in yard and it comes easier.

beavertrapper said:
my biggest issue is keeping the legs sturdy and not shifting.
It's a dance.
Make legs with pegs on top.
Make guide rope's (adjustable or not).
Stake two guide ropes on the first leg set at right angles.
Use the weight of the canvas as the 3rd part of the tripod holding first leg up right.
Stake the second leg with two guide ropes,,
,hang the canvas on the second leg.
etc, etc,,,
Re-adjust and set all stakes and legs,,
(if you need to stake a 3rd guide rope to a leg,, do it)
You'll figure it out.

I put a 12 footer up for years....By my self...and it had a 3 foot back wall....

Use a cross stick setup ...and mark your poles so you can tie one side and then lift it up....A step ladder helps....along with good knot trying skills..

Practice at home....until you have it down pat in your sleep.

The obvious is the easiest to overlook.....That said, I don't think I've ever seen two guys set a baker exactly the same.... :hmm:

Some guys use single side poles...I used cross polls (scissors) so I could adjust the height and keep it tight and perty...

I'm confused :confused: .

Are you putting up a Baker, or are you putting up a lean-to that is Baker shaped because the event where you will be won't allow the "Baker" shaped tent?

I've seen the lean-to done with lines and four poles, with lines and five poles or six poles (much sturdier), and I've seen it done with 11 poles :shocked2: (makes for an interesting bundle on the roof of the car if you do the 11-pole version :wink: )

LD

Yes I'm using scissor style also, the issue is keeping square and sturdy. I think the issue is I can't say a whole lot of cuss words because my younger son is with me otherwise I d be jumping up and down ranting! Lol

Chris

I used 14 poles total if you count the awning poles....and lots of guy lines....once set up I could climb on it like a jungle Jim...and it never faltered in wind nor storm....

I left the scissors tied all the time...

Well my event doesn't discriminate what your shelter is! Its just between me and the deer during deer season and the many happy times spent with my sons in the bush.

Thanks though .

BT

I always set mine up in the back yard right before I took it anywhere...Like a refresher course and to work out any kinks...That way setup and tear down was fresh in my mind...

beavertrapper said:
Well my event doesn't discriminate what your shelter is! Its just between me and the deer during deer season and the many happy times spent with my sons in the bush.

Thanks though .

BT
Then start with a long tight rope between trees.
A Baker is kind of a gripe anyways,, now ya wanna turn it into a "lean to"-"Baker"?
There's a lot of way's to turn a piece of canvas into a shelter,, and in my humble opinion a "baker" is far from the best way to do so.

yes beginning to understand that, however there is a group that love em, but anyhow just looking for helpful tips.

BT

ya Im doing that I think the issue is not enough guy lines, and not deep enough holes.

BT

Back