• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bait Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
GEDC0169.JPG
GEDC0168.JPG
GEDC0170.JPG
GEDC0167.JPG
GEDC0127.JPG
Get your horn scraped and cut to size. Leave it fairly thick. Make sure when you do that it will stand up on its own. Put your cover on the top of the horn, then going from the bottom trace the inside of horn on the cover. Draw the small tab on the wood that goes through the back side of the horn. Now cut the cover out leaving enough wood on the large end to finish the backside of cover later.
Don't put the bottom in at this time in case of screw up till the end.
Now drill a hole in the top of the horn at the height where you want the cover to slide in the thickness of the cover. I used 3/8" wood for my cover. Now file sideways to open up the hole. You will file the slot till you hit the edges of the horn. You will have to file the sides of the horn some. Just keep fitting the cover as you go, till the small tab reaches the back of the horn. Now mark the tab on the back of horn. Drill a hole and file to the shape of tab. Now finish off the large end of the cover how ever you would like.
Now make a plug. Push out on the horn alittle when you drill a hole in the cover, so it will cause friction fit the plug.
Now you can fit the bottom to the horn. Stain any way you like. Add worms and go fishing.
Sorry about not putting in the pics in till now, but I couldn't figure out how do it any other way.

Jerry

View attachment 2226 View attachment 2227 View attachment 2225 View attachment 2228 View attachment 2229 Get your horn scraped and cut to size. Leave it fairly thick. Make sure when you do that it will stand up on its own. Put your cover on the top of the horn, then going from the bottom trace the inside of horn on the cover. Draw the small tab on the wood that goes through the back side of the horn. Now cut the cover out leaving enough wood on the large end to finish the backside of cover later.
Don't put the bottom in at this time in case of screw up till the end.
Now drill a hole in the top of the horn at the height where you want the cover to slide in the thickness of the cover. I used 3/8" wood for my cover. Now file sideways to open up the hole. You will file the slot till you hit the edges of the horn. You will have to file the sides of the horn some. Just keep fitting the cover as you go, till the small tab reaches the back of the horn. Now mark the tab on the back of horn. Drill a hole and file to the shape of tab. Now finish off the large end of the cover how ever you would like.
Now make a plug. Push out on the horn alittle when you drill a hole in the cover, so it will cause friction fit the plug.
Now you can fit the bottom to the horn. Stain any way you like. Add worms and go fishing.
Sorry about not putting in the pics in till now, but I couldn't figure out how do it any other way.

Jerry
Jerry,
Many thanks for posting the worm horn pics and directions on the build!!
An excellent job, not only on the horn but in passing on the knowledge!!
I will need to give this project a go for sure!
I actually have two horns that I bought at a garage sale that were souvenir pieces which aren't good for powder but would make great worm horns as they are decorated outside with carved fish scales, perfect for this project!!
You just saved them from becoming buttons!! LOL

The Sicilian

That is very nice and a great container for most anything that you might want to carry in your bag. Nice writeup and photos. I'll bet there is a story to go with that wood box in the background of the last photo too.

Hawkeye
Look under winter projects it has lots of pics of that box and its contents.
Jerry
Jerry,
Echoing Hawkeye, I also was thinking of other uses other then bait for your horn container.
Mostly for trekking but I could see it being used for just about anything and I imagine it being less clanky then tin or brass containers as well, which is an advantage on the trail

Jerry,
Echoing Hawkeye, I also was thinking of other uses other then bait for your horn container.
Mostly for trekking but I could see it being used for just about anything and I imagine it being less clanky then tin or brass containers as well, which is an advantage on the trail
I have seen an original tinder horn. But could be used as any container.

Jerry

View attachment 2372
Jerry,
I hadn't thought of using it for that but that's an excellent idea.
This one is a little too pretty for my taste...
Beautiful workmanship in that horn. I like everything about it, the color, and the scrimshaw.I wonder how the top plug is held in? It looks like a compression fit. Its alittle above my pay scale. But it sure is nice.

Jerry

Beautiful workmanship in that horn. I like everything about it, the color, and the scrimshaw.I wonder how the top plug is held in? It looks like a compression fit. Its alittle above my pay scale. But it sure is nice.

Jerry
I agree, A little to high end for me too but nice to look at!
I am looking to do something far more simple in look and design and let time and use "antique" and decorate it.
On the closure part, so far I like yours the best but I've seen others that had a cord closure that pulled the cap tight from the opposite end.

Last edited:
That tinder horn is outstanding!

SL, horn was the 18th century version of plastic. It can be cut into sheets, molded/shaped into spoons, combs, used for drinking cups, and other purposes. Do some googling and you'll find all sorts of items to copy and make for your own purposes.

I remember searching for period tinderhorns without much success, but this was some time ago. Has anyone found any they would like to share? I've seen the one above, but it looks recently made.

That tinder horn is outstanding!

SL, horn was the 18th century version of plastic. It can be cut into sheets, molded/shaped into spoons, combs, used for drinking cups, and other purposes. Do some googling and you'll find all sorts of items to copy and make for your own purposes.
Kat,
Amazing what can be done with heat, forms and a press!!
I saw a powder flask that had the walls formed into a teardrop shape.
I have a horn spoon and have seen smaller plates and bowls as well as a trencher that still was somewhat horn shaped but had a flattened bottom.
I was always partial to the flat powder horns and may have to put that on my ever growing list of projects!
I found plans for the press online.

The Sicilian

Hand,
I figured you'd get a kick out of the site belonging to your sparring partner!! LOL
I've been to his blog on more than one occasion.

Keith and I haven't done any real sparring. While I may not completely agree with everything he says (and I suspect he disagrees with me as well), he makes an honest effort to do it right. Being adults, we can disagree and still learn from each other...

Keith and I haven't done any real sparring. While I may not completely agree with everything he says (and I suspect he disagrees with me as well), he makes an honest effort to do it right. Being adults, we can disagree and still learn from each other...
I know, Hand, I'm just poking you with a stick!
I watched just about every video of his before I even found this forum.
His info is top notch and so is yours for that matter.
Just so you know, I think you can take him...

The Sicilian

Back