• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bag strap blackout

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No! You could try a wider strap, or create a pad that would slide over your strap to spread the force out on your shoulder. an extra inch of width on either side of the strap could really disperse the weight.
I don't carry that much in my bag. A day after pheasants with my smoothbore, which is my heaviest bag, and it is barely noticeable. I carry a tin with soaked fiber wads, a small bag with overshot cards and overpowder cards, a flint wallet, 8-12 ounces of shot, 8-12 ounces of powder. The whole thing can't weigh more than 3 pounds.

Take everything out of your bag and put each piece into one of two piles. One being the pile that you used the last time you shot your rifle. The other is the items you didn't use. Only put the items you used back in the bag. Put the rest in a bag that you leave behind. Your shooting bag shouldn't weigh that much.

I don't usually have this problem with just my shot pouch and horn, worn off my left shoulder to hang under my right armpit. I have suffered this affliction when I carry other cross body baggage on my other side, thus putting strappage on both sides of my neck. Often this has been with a rather well stuffed "haversack." I did carry a small bag similar to my shot pouch off my right shoulder to hang on my left, the other day while out in the woods, but all it had in it was a couple turkey calls and my truck keys, I did not experience the discomfort, so, maybe weight is the culprit. Time to examine what is in your shot pouch, is it all really needed?

No. My hunting bag only weighs a few ounces more than the number of round balls I carry. It really should be light as a feather. My shot pouch for my fowling pieces weighs the most but I weight the number of shots I take per outing and put a few shots more than i shoot per outing to keep the weight down. Drop tins, ball bags, etc. Go light, carry just what you need for fire x shots.

Shoulder straps tend to press on that certain spot at the junction of the neck and shoulders where you're supposed to give someone a karate chop or the Vulcan neck pinch to knock them out. If I try to carry much with something with a shoulder strap, I will get VERY sore almost immediately. I can't carry a snapsack because of this, and I have sure tried. "Haversack"? No way. I don't know how people can carry these overloaded shoulder bags around without crippling pain.

A shooting bag/horn doesn't generally bother me, though, as they're not very heavy at all. If your shooting bag is too heavy, well, you have your answer right there! :) You can try a bag with a relatively soft woven strap, but mainly, you just gotta get the weight off your neck.

No. My hunting bag only weighs a few ounces more than the number of round balls I carry. It really should be light as a feather. My shot pouch for my fowling pieces weighs the most but I weight the number of shots I take per outing and put a few shots more than i shoot per outing to keep the weight down. Drop tins, ball bags, etc. Go light, carry just what you need for fire x shots.

Excellent advise. Simplifying the pouch and it’s contents just makes for a better time in the field. More comfort, less fumbling. I’ve learned this personally over the past couple of years and have now dispensed with much of my kit that I thought was “necessary” at the time.

I really don't carry more in my bag than I need. The bag is made by "The Leatherman" and is really nice and heavy duty, but the bag and strap by themselves probably weigh over a pound. The strap is probably 2" wide, but it tends to roll up into a narrower strap when I carry it. The patching material doesn't weigh much, but I probably carry a couple of pounds of .54 cal round balls. It's not the weight of the bag that bothers me, its the gravity pulling it down! lol

Are you hunting? If so you shouldn't need 2 pounds of balls, half a dozen max will do. Consider making a "pad" of leather to go under the strap where it goes over you shoulder so it won't roll up.

I had a very nice bag from "The Leatherman." They are very well made and look nice. But, they are heavy on their own, and, they all seem to be pretty big, which encourages the carrying of stuff that shouldn't be there.
My bag is pretty small, and so is the amount of stuff in it, but, I know there are a few things I could pull out if need be. Take a hard look at the stuff in your shooting bag. When I hunt deer, I only take a few round ball with me, so, when I go to the range, that is all that is in my shot pouch, the rest are in my range bag. I replenish the shot pouch as needed from the balls in the range bag.

I have 4 shoulder bags and all but one are around 5.5" to 6". They are just hunting bags for a few hours in the woods. I rarely carry more than 5 round balls for deer; bags are very light and don't need much in it.

Yep. I just checked this bag for one of my .45 flintlock rifles. The bag has 16 loose balls in it, a few jags, a tow worm and a turnscrew floating around the bottom, and some patching hanging from the strap. I put it on my Postal Scale. Weighs 15oz (bag only not the horn)
723AED05-0072-4E56-8FD2-53E991D5365B.jpeg
3A174103-6F9E-431E-9A90-395C4821C5EF.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife has problems with seat belts catching her in the neck. She has one of those velcro pads that slip over a seat belt to relieve it. They are lightly padded. You could pick up one of those to try and if it works make one that looks more hc/pc and put it on the bag strap. I don't suppose velcro is hc, but a tie or buttons could be used.

I think the weight of your bag has been addressed in the posts above. Strap width was also discussed. However, if you have a reasonably comfortable strap and you get the weight of your bag's contents down to the minimum necessary, and you try moving the strap a little farther out on your shoulder, and you still have the blacking out problem, it may be time to discuss it with your doctor. Seriously. He or she may recommend an ultrasound to evaluate for stenosis (narrowing) of the arteries supplying blood to your brain. This is not to scare you, but may be something to consider.

It's not medical advice, either. Just a suggestion from a friend. Probably worth about what you paid for it. :thumb:

Notchy Bob

One of the advantages of wearing the regimental coat is the epaulette on my left shoulder. The strap for the cartridge box goes under the epaulette and the strap doesn't bind on my neck.

1590688170065.png

No epaulette on the right shoulder for the haversack though.

Latest posts

Back