• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonialnerd

40 Cal
Reaction score
In a couple weeks I’ll be ordering my flinter kit, and today I took a good hard look at it. The silhouette is reasonably close to an English Trade Gun, which is what I’m currently into. With a little work (ok, moderate work) I can get it close enough to make me happy.
But in typical fashion I figured why not plan some embellishments?
So I have a notion for a relief carved thistle on the stock, a simplified butt, and some simple inlay. Keep it all in brass and the joining plate suddenly seems intentional. Do a rediculous amount of arduous file work and maybe have the barrel transition to round after a wedding band.

Aside from the obvious question of “what are you smoking and why aren’t you sharing” what do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3
Yep, the only way to do that with the barrel would be to chuck the forend stock piece and make a new one.

Isn’t the stock already inleted for an octagonal barrel it’s entire length? If you are going to change to round at the wedding band the diameter of the barrel will be smaller and there’s going to be a large gap.
Just round the visible top portion.
Abracadabra that sucker and create the illusion of octagon to round.
"Do a rediculous amount of arduous file work and maybe have the barrel transition to round after a wedding band."

That is why God invented machinists.
machinists are expensive. Me and my tools are free.

Isn’t the stock already inleted for an octagonal barrel it’s entire length? If you are going to change to round at the wedding band the diameter of the barrel will be smaller and there’s going to be a large gap.
Just round the visible top portion.
Abracadabra that sucker and create the illusion of octagon to round.
"Do a rediculous amount of arduous file work and maybe have the barrel transition to round after a wedding band."

That is why God invented machinists.
machinists are expensive. Me and my tools are free

If you're talented enough to make your modifications... well, it still won't matter. There is no part of the modified kit that will resemble an English trade gun. If you have the talent and tools, then I would suggest buying an English trade gun kit, or building one from a blank.

I’m not looking for perfection. I’m aiming for looks like a trade gun in the same level of dark room where I look like Brad Pitt.
*spoiler* it’s a WAAAAY dark room.

I wouldn’t waste my time with a S#%ty kit! Spend a little more and do it right! And have fun doing it.

Personally, I don’t want to spend more. I like the idea of taking a $400 kit and fiddling with it. It takes me back to my 20’s when I took an old Beetle and made an off-road Baja out of it. I COULD have just bought a Jeep, but that wouldn’t have been as much fun.

Personally, I don’t want to spend more. I like the idea of taking a $400 kit and fiddling with it. It takes me back to my 20’s when I took an old Beetle and made an off-road Baja out of it. I COULD have just bought a Jeep, but that wouldn’t have been as much fun.
These guns in flint don't work, no matter how much fiddling you do. You're wasting your time.

You can do anything you want; it is your gun but I doubt if it will come out like you hoped for, it will be a good learning experience on what to do and not to do.

I always think of the guy who proudly posted his first build which wasn't too bad a job on a Lancaster rifle, that is until he took a blow torch and made 2" wide barber pole stripes from the nose cap to the butt plate because he "liked" the look. It was indeed a sight to behold.

There is nothing at all wrong with a traditions gun. I’ve had quite a few. The locks in flint aren’t great but they are serviceable. On the other hand there isn’t another production muzzleloading rifle made that is uglier than the two piece stock traditions Kentucky. Making it uglier shouldn’t be too difficult. Save your money and at least get a Pedersoli trade gun kit.

Latest posts

Back