• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad idea, but it turned out ok.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A little target practice at my local gun range with my T/C .45 percussion Hawken. It was a beautiful morning, temps in the 60's and sunshine.
After a couple of shots I started another ball down the barrel with my short starter. I pushed it down to the muzzle end and the couldn't get it out of the barrel.
The round ball end of the starter (wood) came off the wood shaft. No biggie, I got a pair of pliers out and twisted the shaft. I was able to pop it out of the barrel. I started my range rod down and could tell it was not bottoming out. It then dawned on me the metal end of my short starter had come loose from the shaft and was now sitting on top of ball and powder.
What to do?
The smart thing would have been to just take it to my lgs, but he's not open today.
So I got to thinking about it (never a good idea) and decided that since Civil War soldiers sometimes launched their ram rods with their projectiles in the heat of battle, I could do the same thing.
So I did. Not with the rifle held in my arms but on a bag rest with me wearing gloves and turning my head to the side.
Fired it and here's where it landed.
Round ball hit on the left and end of starter on the right.

btw, I do not recommend doing this. It could have turned out badly.

001.jpg

A little target practice at my local gun range with my T/C .45 percussion Hawken. It was a beautiful morning, temps in the 60's and sunshine.
After a couple of shots I started another ball down the barrel with my short starter. I pushed it down to the muzzle end and the couldn't get it out of the barrel.
The round ball end of the starter (wood) came off the wood shaft. No biggie, I got a pair of pliers out and twisted the shaft. I was able to pop it out of the barrel. I started my range rod down and could tell it was not bottoming out. It then dawned on me the metal end of my short starter had come loose from the shaft and was now sitting on top of ball and powder.
What to do?
The smart thing would have been to just take it to my lgs, but he's not open today.
So I got to thinking about it (never a good idea) and decided that since Civil War soldiers sometimes launched their ram rods with their projectiles in the heat of battle, I could do the same thing.
So I did. Not with the rifle held in my arms but on a bag rest with me wearing gloves and turning my head to the side.
Fired it and here's where it landed.
Round ball hit on the left and end of starter on the right.

btw, I do not recommend doing this. It could have turned out badly.

View attachment 45479
Combat load! Alternative buck 'n ball!

Just a little confused by this. The brass ends on my starters don't go in the barrel tight. The ball and patch are tight, but if I bottomed out my short starter, and turned the gun 180 muzzle down, the starter would hit the dirt. Its smaller than the bore and dose not grab the patch.
You sure you don't have a 50 starter going into a 45 barrel? Also sure you don't have a larger 50 patch going into a 45 barrel? That would leave too much patch over the ball and could grab a tip on you.
When I use mine I'm pushing on nothing but ball, not patch.:dunno: Just askin'.

Looks a little low and right!

Move those sights ever so slightly.... and pin your rods!

I’m glad you got it worked out safely...

LOL!

Been there done that. Other’s I shoot with, the same.

Starter tips to include RR tips. Double ball on a load? Double load??

Not going on the record claiming it’s safe practices. Will only say “ Shirt Happens! “ lol.

Like mentioned above. Pin your tips. Don’t use brass threaded loading/cleaning jags if that is what’s on the end of your RR? Steel threads on your jags my friend.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Welcome aboard !!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Just a little confused by this. The brass ends on my starters don't go in the barrel tight. The ball and patch are tight, but if I bottomed out my short starter, and turned the gun 180 muzzle down, the starter would hit the dirt. Its smaller than the bore and dose not grab the patch.
You sure you don't have a 50 starter going into a 45 barrel? Also sure you don't have a larger 50 patch going into a 45 barrel? That would leave too much patch over the ball and could grab a tip on you.
When I use mine I'm pushing on nothing but ball, not patch.:dunno: Just askin'.
I'm a little surprised at the original problem as well. Maybe I don't get out much, but I have never seen a ball starter with a snout that fits tightly in the bore, because they don't have to fit tightly to do the job.

Wonder if someone gave him a starter with a jag on it.

Only assuming, but it sounds like it ?

Have had jags in the past that would barely clear the bore diameter i/e .50 caliber jag for a .50 caliber barrel. Extremely tight fit ! That coupled with brass threads on the jag, I could see that happening.

Only an assumption of course!

Respectfully, Cowboy

It was a starter that belonged to my Dad. I believe he may have made it himself. The rod got stuck when I pushed it down the barrel. When I pulled it out first the ball came off the rod. I got the rod out and then pushed the charge down with my range rod before realizing the brass tip was missing. It fits pretty tight normally. It wasn't going to come out on its own. I had already fired a number of shots so fouling may have tightened things up.

Anyway, no harm, no foul.

It happens ...

A Word of advice however...

Do Not point it at your Wife’s flower vase !
Even with just a few grns of fffg down the nipple and a cap....

Never did find that jag....lol

Latest posts

Back