• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backyard ranges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm handicapped and locked into a powerchair. The local range I used to go to 4 or 5 years ago, has a soft clay parking lot. Now that I'm in this chair I cannot get through this soft clay. I get mired down and stuck. no way I can get around or change my targets. So going back to this range to shoot is out of the question. Have found a new range about 35 miles east of my home that I can get around in. It has all sorts of ranges, pistol, rifle, skeet, trap, paintball. One is 1000yd with targets and or gongs every 100 yards apart. It is really nice and well laid out. And a big plus, it is I can get around everywhere I need to, But there is a downside, it is $45 a day or $450 for an annual membership.

So I have set up a backyard shooting range to shoot all my black powder rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Here at home then if I'm good enough I'll go pay the $45 a day and try my luck with the 1000 yd range. I would like to see how well I can do with my 50 and 45 cal C & P rifles. So In the meantime, I have set up my own backyard range for all the other stuff.
Here's a picture of the layout. The closest picture is inside of my elevated gazebo looking down on my lower 4 acres. The closest pile of clay is at 25 yds next out is the 50 yd one, look close on the left above the 25 yd pile is the 75 yd backstop. Looking over the 50 yd one and a little to the right is the 100 yd target. Just past the 100 yd pile is a one-acre pond with a hi berm across the back. That berm runs from light to left and there are 40 acres of woods behind that. No one will be shooting out here except me and my 16-year-old grandson and under my supervision.
All my friends who I used to shoot and compete with have passed on or just quit shooting. I'm going on 85 and I ain't gonna quit.
shootin range.jpg

My shooting range is just my back yard. I can shoot up to 125 yards. I’m redoing my backstop with telephone poles and earth behind that. I really don’t need all that because I’m shooting into a hill, but during the summer months that dirt on the hill gets dry and really hard, so I want a backstop just for a secondary measure. I have no neighbors and farm land for as far as the eye can see. My parents own all the farmland around them, if I wanted I could shoot there as well, that would be pretty much unlimited distance. Parents live on a hill so I’m shooting downward all around.. it’s actually a prefect set up. I also own a woods and could shoot there if I had no other place to shoot…. But I hunt that and want the deer to feel safe and stay there year round.

I'm handicapped and locked into a powerchair. The local range I used to go to 4 or 5 years ago, has a soft clay parking lot. Now that I'm in this chair I cannot get through this soft clay. I get mired down and stuck. no way I can get around or change my targets. So going back to this range to shoot is out of the question. Have found a new range about 35 miles east of my home that I can get around in. It has all sorts of ranges, pistol, rifle, skeet, trap, paintball. One is 1000yd with targets and or gongs every 100 yards apart. It is really nice and well laid out. And a big plus, it is I can get around everywhere I need to, But there is a downside, it is $45 a day or $450 for an annual membership.

So I have set up a backyard shooting range to shoot all my black powder rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Here at home then if I'm good enough I'll go pay the $45 a day and try my luck with the 1000 yd range. I would like to see how well I can do with my 50 and 45 cal C & P rifles. So In the meantime, I have set up my own backyard range for all the other stuff.
Here's a picture of the layout. The closest picture is inside of my elevated gazebo looking down on my lower 4 acres. The closest pile of clay is at 25 yds next out is the 50 yd one, look close on the left above the 25 yd pile is the 75 yd backstop. Looking over the 50 yd one and a little to the right is the 100 yd target. Just past the 100 yd pile is a one-acre pond with a hi berm across the back. That berm runs from light to left and there are 40 acres of woods behind that. No one will be shooting out here except me and my 16-year-old grandson and under my supervision.
All my friends who I used to shoot and compete with have passed on or just quit shooting. I'm going on 85 and I ain't gonna quit.
View attachment 110112
Good for you. I admire your grit and determination and how wonderful it is to be able to teach your grandson. That is a real blessing.

A few of us have been tossing around the idea of once again putting together another traditional muzzleloading club. I have a nice range for handguns-muzzleloaders out here on the farm with stations at 15,25, 35, 75 and 100yds. The insurance-liability factor was brought up so while making breakfast I went online looking for info. I spoke online to a few people and even watched videos of people putting together or shooting on their home ranges. One thing that really caught my eye was how often there are no backstops of any kind. People firing into the woods behind there homes. I asked about it to a few and was suprised (not really) about the absence of backstops. I recieved several answers of ( it's my property and anyone tresspassin deserves to be shot) or ( it's my neighbors land and he ain't livin thar and the brush is thick so who cares). Just really gets me, especially in these times how many people could really care less where that bullet or ball goes once it leaves the gun. Hell I'm so cheap I use several rows of soft woods like pine as a backstop so I can reclaim all that precious lead and re-cast it. Never did finish wading through the mumbo jumbo about using a range by a organized club. There, just had to throw some ramblings out there.

I certainly admire and praise your efforts to create a safe and welcoming shooting environment for qualified people.
I am a lifetime hunter, and shooter when things are out of season. Now I hunt hogs, and the way things have changed, I can now hunt them anytime, day or night in many places.

I practiced law in Georgia, and other jurisdictions, for many years and in later days moved into Strategic Consulting, which required the background and knowledge from years of law practice. In both roles I assisted a lot of shooting set-ups and Hunting Lodges on the Strategy and Tactics of confronting and controlling legal liability.

Just as orientation, the Hunting Lodges tended to present more complex issues from within and without. With the advent of 4 wheelers and other motorized vehicles, the "internal" risks of things as simple as a fall from a tree stand and dozens of other such risks that had to be confronted, it kept me thinking and scheming ways of minimizing risk and insulating the key people from liability.

I offer my help, if desired, in the helping you think your way through the liability questions, from one hunter to another.

I must state the lawyer required language of I can't offer any legal advice. My license was in Georgia and any lawyer, with some exceptions, is confined to his home state. I offer just the strategic and planning kind of help - for free - and see how it goes. Legal advice, when and if needed, should be sought, for many reasons, from a competent lawyer in the state where the shooting facility is located.

You can contact me here in the forum or directly at [email protected] or 865 266-9813. I am known as Butch (my lifetime nickname) and Pilgrim on the site here.

View attachment 110112
Keep 'em going down range as long as you can :thumb:

View attachment 110112
That's a pretty sweet set up.
Have a cup of coffee, kill some paper bad guys, go put your feet up and watch Dr Phil. All without breaking a sweat.

But at my tree farm about 45 minutes away I have a fortune in ar500 set up on the side of a mountain.
9B57CF77-BB2E-45EC-BE19-F149D49831E5.jpeg

with cheeky bastards spread out through the woods.
F3FC0B98-25D6-41BD-B51C-ABC71E9144F8.jpeg

Back