• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backpacking with longer rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m heading out soon for a hunt that has me walking in a few miles. Brush is dense and the terrain is very rugged. So I prefer to hike in with trekking poles. The poles help with fording the creek too — about a dozen or so crossings. I have taken my Hawken in the past. The barrel, at only 28”, sticks up quite a ways out of the side of my pack but isn’t too bad. I’d prefer to take my Kentucky rifle this year but the 36” barrel is likely to be a problem strapped in the same way. What setups have any of you used to haul a longer rifle in to the backcountry? Sling it to your chest? Is there some kind of pouch that would allow the rifle to hang lower than the level of the belt? Looking for ideas on how to have it packed away for the hike in so my hands can be free to navigate the terrain.

I could, of course, just take the hawken. But I like to make things harder on myself, I guess.

In my hand
My heavy kit, lots more then I need, a snapsack with a blanket tied around and a haversack, gun in hand
CEB6B70A-1AD7-438C-813B-294E96208997.jpeg
36A238D5-4A67-4BE3-A4D5-4D4787C3A479.jpeg

In my hand
My heavy kit, lots more then I need, a snapsack with a blanket tied around and a haversack, gun in handView attachment 176417View attachment 176418
Looks cool. Very cool. But not what I’m going for here. Looking to get that rifle attached to a very modern pack. There’s some miles to cover and lots of obstacles along the way.

I did a lean-to with a light weight tarp one year. Ended up with a tick attached to my belly when I got out of the canyon. No idea how many days it was on there.

I'm sympathetic to the problem. The way I hunt often involves miles of poking through the mountains from dawn to dark. A previous leg injury requires that I use at least one trekking pole or a walking staff. I do it with rifle in one hand since it's a hunt rather than a hike.

But your need is different. Moving the camp in and out is a different thing. I have a large day pack that has a hanging poket centered in the back that hangs on adjustable straps. I've never used it but it seems like something like it could work for you. Depending on the length of your rifle it's probably going to stick up a ways so that could be a problem Depending on the terrain and vegetation.

Looks cool. Very cool. But not what I’m going for here. Looking to get that rifle attached to a very modern pack. There’s some miles to cover and lots of obstacles along the way.

I did a lean-to with a light weight tarp one year. Ended up with a tick attached to my belly when I got out of the canyon. No idea how many days it was on there.

A tick or two is not worth worrying about. Some people go nuts if they find even one tick on them. Just pull them off, smash them between your thumbnails, and move on. Used to get them all the time years ago when I was out more than I am now. Lots of times had a dozen or more dug in on my skin. On a couple of occasions I have happened to look down at my boots or pants legs and saw several hundred on the move headed up my legs. Too many to kill, so out comes the pocket knife to scrape them off on to the ground. Had to move a few feet every little bit so the ones I had just scraped off wouldn’t get back on me.

I have long rifles that I would love to use - and half-stocks that I do use. (I think mountain rifles were probably "invented" for the very reasons that we have both experienced.) My 62 year-old knees REALLY appreciate trekking poles, which means my hands are generally not available to carry/ cradle a gun - but I can easily strap a Hawken to my pack in such a way that it is pretty quickly at the ready. If you figure out a great solution, be sure to share!!

If you look up exo mountain packs, they have a gun carrier that can be attached to your pack to have the butt ride lower than the belt. I have one and like it but have only used it with bolt gun. I would think it would work ok for a muzzy

A tick or two is not worth worrying about. Some people go nuts if they find even one tick on them. Just pull them off, smash them between your thumbnails, and move on. Used to get them all the time years ago when I was out more than I am now. Lots of times had a dozen or more dug in on my skin. On a couple of occasions I have happened to look down at my boots or pants legs and saw several hundred on the move headed up my legs. Too many to kill, so out comes the pocket knife to scrape them off on to the ground. Had to move a few feet every little bit so the ones I had just scraped off wouldn’t get back on me.
My teepee tent with a bug inner is just far more comfortable for this hunt. I save the lean-to with a bug bivy (carpenter ants) for summer trips when nights are short, conditions are mostly dry and days are spent hiking the long miles.

If you look up exo mountain packs, they have a gun carrier that can be attached to your pack to have the butt ride lower than the belt. I have one and like it but have only used it with bolt gun. I would think it would work ok for a muzzy
Might have to break out the singer machine & see if I can whip out something similar.

Ok, then just think about how you returned in the past with the harvest, and do it in reverse.
Trekking and long hunting are two different things.
And/or, Buy a horse or mule?
Getting a deer out of there is a two-trip thing. It’s mileage x3. But I’ve only done it with the hawken strapped to the side. I’m also coming to camp a different way hoping to save some miles & logistical challenges from previous years. But it means I’m trading a steep climb for denser brush & wet crossings. I don’t actually know if I’ll even make it to camp or have to stop & camp somewhere on the way.

Sounding more and more like the Hawken is the better way to go.

My "Badlands" pack has a rifle caddy system. It works great(!) with a hunting rifle, (24" barrel) but my Longrifle has a 44" barrel....

Because I like my rifle ready to go during any type of hunt I use a single-point sling with a simple detach hook. I put the sling on first and then mount my pack basket. It leaves both hand free most of the time, one thing I can tell you though don't try to run without holding the rifle or you'll bust the family jewels. .. 🤣

Because I like my rifle ready to go during any type of hunt I use a single-point sling with a simple detach hook. I put the sling on first and then mount my pack basket. It leaves both hand free most of the time, one thing I can tell you though don't try to run without holding the rifle or you'll bust the family jewels. .. 🤣
Picture please?

I'll get one up shortly, it's an item I made myself with leather straps. The hook point will depend on the length of the rifle, close to the balance point seems to work best

You will need a pack designed to carry a rifle. There are several makers that have them. Many are adjustable for length of the firearm. However, regardless of which pack you choose, none are designed for 44 in barrels! They usually stop at a 24/26 in barrel which is a "tactical" length for many LR firearms. If you have the rifle hang much lower in the back it will impede your walking etc, if it sticks up too high it will catch every tree limb and piece of brush known to man. The "long rifle" was meant to be carried in the hands (IMHO) and even back in the day, I'm sure it was as much of a pita then as it is now!

Back