• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back to smoothbore and flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seller said he believes it is a Colerain barrel/ it is a Colerain barrel, not happy but stuff happens, I'll put it on the wall, I will try to confirm it's a seam, it could be scratches, I'm not sure you can get two perfectly straight scratch lines 30 thou apart running from the plug to the muzzle.
Sold off everything when I decided to go flintlock-smoothbore , I'll save up and buy another, I'll have plenty of supplies ready, powder/flints/mold/ all inbound.

The two times the gun was listed the barrel is noted,

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/lancaster-smoothbore-barn-gun.148435/

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/62-20-smoothbore-barn-gun.138788/
PS I checked with Colerain yesterday and none of the barrel dimensions match any of their 62/20g barrels, width and length of flats, length of wedding band, barrel taper and barrel OD, the builder could have taken some off the flats but round O.D. is larger. I'll add that this is as of yesterday the barrel could have been from years ago and maybe no longer produced in the dimensions it has.

Last edited:
Seller said he believes it's a Colerain barrel, not happy but stuff happens, I'll put it on the wall.
Sold off everything when I decided to go flintlock-smoothbore , I'll save up and buy another, I'll have plenty of supplies ready, powder/flints/mold/ all inbound.
You can replace the barrel for a few hundred dollars. I can do it for you. PM me if you want me to look at it. Here's a pic of my shop so you can see I'm not a schmuck. lol. Semper Fi.

DSCN0480.JPG

DSCN0483.JPG

Thanks for the offer but I'm not going to spend a few hundred dollars more on a gun I have not shot.
I'll put it on the wall as a décor item, and if somebody breaks in and steals it I can live with it :)

Seller said he believes it is a Colerain barrel/ it is a Colerain barrel, not happy but stuff happens, I'll put it on the wall, I will try to confirm it's a seam, it could be scratches, I'm not sure you can get two perfectly straight scratch lines 30 thou apart running from the plug to the muzzle.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/lancaster-smoothbore-barn-gun.148435/

PS I checked with Colerain yesterday and none of the barrel dimensions match any of their 62/20g barrels, width and length of flats, length of wedding band, barrel taper and barrel OD, the builder could have taken some off the flats but round O.D. is larger. I'll add that this is as of yesterday the barrel could have been from years ago and maybe no longer produced in the dimensions it has.

I'd like to see a pic of the lines in the barrel. You could remove the barrel and see if there are any makers marks underneath. Semper Fi.

If the gun has an issue which makes it unable to be safely shot then you really should try and get your money back or at least a discounted price. It wasn't sold as a wall hanger it was sold as a working gun. That's a lot of money to spend on a modern made gun that you can't shoot.
The seller said in the sales listings above that he shot it, on one listing he said it was not shot by the maker on the other he said is was shot a little (last post Dec 2021, withdrawn listing), I don't know at this point. So I assume it's O.K. to shoot but I'm not going to.

I'd like to see a pic of the lines in the barrel. You could remove the barrel and see if there are any makers marks underneath. Semper Fi.
I just removed the barrel, no Colerain marks on the barrel no maker at all, looks like a seam where the wedding band area contacts the flats. Only thing is light rust in spots and varnish/stock finish, lots of ripples inside and out that can be felt more than seen. I will post some pictures shortly.

Here are some pictures (best I can do). The lines run all the way to plug only on that side of the barrel, they are (after cleaning) visible on the outside of barrel in the same location with high magnification but very faint .

Attachments

• IMG_0499 (2).JPG
    IMG_0499 (2).JPG
    463 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0500 (2).JPG
    IMG_0500 (2).JPG
    432.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0501 (2).JPG
    IMG_0501 (2).JPG
    562.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Siler lock picture, never noticed one with pin welded before,

Attachments

• IMG_0496 (2).JPG
    IMG_0496 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Wedding band area,

Attachments

• IMG_0490 (2).JPG
    IMG_0490 (2).JPG
    703.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0491 (2).JPG
    IMG_0491 (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0492 (2).JPG
    IMG_0492 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Other pictures, when barrel changes diameter there are lines/scratches (I can live with scratches),

Attachments

• IMG_0503 (2).JPG
    IMG_0503 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0502 (2).JPG
    IMG_0502 (2).JPG
    959.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0494 (2).JPG
    IMG_0494 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0505 (2).JPG
    IMG_0505 (2).JPG
    582.6 KB · Views: 0
I believe this barrel made from drawn over manner tubing. Steel is unrolled from a coil of slat stock, precisely cut to width, shaped over a precise mandrel and resistance welded to form the tube.
Claims are made for precision of manufacture for diameter and strength. Needless to say, this is not gun steel, but drawn over mandrel tubing has been used in a number of smooth bored guns. Some have been shot a lot.

Since this is a on going thing with DBrevit. I’ll just say. This is a gun I sold. First to a guy a year half back. That guy wanted a new toy and money for it. So I bought it back. Re listed it. DBrevit said I’ll take it. This is a used gun from a guy I knew from events. I did not build this gun. Never said I built this gun. I did not make this barrel. I shot this gun a bit after getting it home. Shoots great. The guy I sold to in 2021 shot it some. He wanted a new modern toy. I bought it back from him shot it again, cleaned it up. Posted new pictures. This all started with boy do I feel like a Dumb ass. Because this gun was priced 200$ cheaper last year. So I’m going to return DBrevits money. You know I’ve sold better than say 40 guns here over last 10 years. Not a problem till now

Since this is a on going thing with DBrevit. I’ll just say. This is a gun I sold. First to a guy a year half back. That guy wanted a new toy and money for it. So I bought it back. Re listed it. DBrevit said I’ll take it. This is a used gun from a guy I knew from events. I did not build this gun. Never said I built this gun. I did not make this barrel. I shot this gun a bit after getting it home. Shoots great. The guy I sold to in 2021 shot it some. He wanted a new modern toy. I bought it back from him shot it again, cleaned it up. Posted new pictures. This all started with boy do I feel like a Dumb ass. Because this gun was priced 200$ cheaper last year. So I’m going to return DBrevits money. You know I’ve sold better than say 40 guns here over last 10 years. Not a problem till now
Personally, I don't see an issue with this barrel. I've built over 200 guns in my time and have worked on some real crappers. I would not have an issue shooting this musket. Wish I had the funds to buy it, however retired military on a fixed income. You know the drill. With Mr. B as pres, who knows how little my retirement will be worth this year. Semper Fi.

Colonialriflesmith
I'm not going to continue posting on this but the gun was listed as being Colerain barreled only fired a few times, other listing indicate this may not be correct so I felt misled. Rick has offered to refund me if I return it and I will be doing so on Tuesday.

Colonialriflesmith
I'm not going to continue posting on this but the gun was listed as being Colerain barreled only fired a few times, other listing indicate this may not be correct so I felt misled. Rick has offered to refund me if I return it and I will be doing so on Tuesday.
Roger that. I was just saying, as a gun builder, I see no issues with the barrel. I'm not taking sides. I was just responding to the inquiry whether the barrel was safe or not. IMHO, the barrel is safe to shoot. Any other issues are between you and the seller. Semper Fi. 🍀

Back