• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Back to old kit, work stand, and advice...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello!
So I've been away a long time and am hoping to finally,get back to finishing my rifle and go trekking etc.
Back in 2006 I purchased a flintlock kit: a Mark Silver rifle from Jim Chambers. I fit the barrel and lock, as well as the trigger (though it still needs work), did some carving, etc. Then I came to the touch-hole liner and chickened out at the thought of drilling and ruining the barrel. When I moved, I boxed up the rifle and left it at a friend's house, where it sat for over ten years as I moved all over the country.

A few months ago my friend mailed it to me and last week I unboxed it, and felt the need to finish this rifle, and shoot it!

By now I forgot most of what I had done. I have the book The Gunsmith of Grenville County, but was advised by a knowledgeable person to avoid it, and was told to get the book Recreating the American Long Rifle, which I ordered and received last week. It's a good book, but I am still somewhat lost. I am a visual learner, so I am now looking at a video to guide me.

I am trying to choose between two video sets from American Pioneer Video:
1. A Comprehensive Guide to Assembling Kentucky Rifles from a Kit with Ron Elhert
2. Building the Daniel Boone Rifle featuring Mike Miller

Anyone here seen these and has advice on which one is better for what I am doing?
Don't know if it matters, but I also want to build a Fusil de Chasse after this rifle. I find those smoothbore trade guns to have such gorgeous lines!!!

Also, back then I built a stand for working on my rifle, based on plans I got somewhere-maybe here. It was all wood and had a design that held the rifle while I worked, and also places to put some of the tools. Stood on the floor and came up to just below chest height.
I cannot find the plans, or even photos of what I built. If anyone knows what I am talking about, can you please point me to the right direction to find instructions, plans, or even pictures?

Anyway, thanks in advance!

I have attached a few pictures of what I did so far. I will try and take better ones later.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3901.JPG
    IMG_3901.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4242.JPG
    IMG_4242.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 112
There are some very detailed builds on you tube, much more in depth than any video you can buy.

Here is an example of one similar to the gun your a building, there are many, many videos in this series, start at step one and proceed through the others.

You have the two main recommended books, so I would rely on searching this forums vast amount of information. If you can't find it ask, there are many here that will help. As Eric said, many videos out there of building rifles.

Those are both good books. If you look closely you will find that the author of the Gunsmith of Grenville County co-authored Recreating The American Longrifle.

Good luck with finishing your rifle. I had several month-long gaps in building my first rifle (kibler) due to the same "chicken-out" episodes. The good thing was it allowed me to step away, learn (I watched a lot of YouTube build videos) and come back to the rifle in a more confident frame of mind. I used the gunsmith of Grenville and found it to be a wonderful resource for my kit build.

It looks like you have a good start. One question.... why do you have carving on it at this stage?
Carving is done AFTER complete assembly and final sanding.
That being said, I have a set of plans for a Builder’s bench if you’re interested. PM me if you’d like them.

There are some very detailed builds on you tube, much more in depth than any video you can buy.

Here is an example of one similar to the gun your a building, there are many, many videos in this series, start at step one and proceed through the others.

Oh wow! That's great to know!
Thank you for that link! I will definitely watch those!

It looks like you have a good start. One question.... why do you have carving on it at this stage?
That being said, I have a set of plans for a Builder’s bench if you’re interested. PM me if you’d like them.

I figured I was pretty much down the line in the build for the carving, since I fitted most parts and did a lot of sanding and wood removal. But maybe I was just too green and too enthusiastic.
I am PMing you about the bench!
Thank you!

I can’t speak to the Ehlert but the Mike Miller video is an insight into how an experienced builder does it. Lots to learn, but definitely two steps above how a beginner should do most things.

One piece of advise I can pass on to new m/l gun stockers is this , don't get so rapped up in building all kinds of jigs and dies using drill presses , furniture part routers , etc.. There are a couple guys out there that have been writing articles for years , that spend hours building all kinds of complicated jigs and devices to do some minor job on a build. Think of how the 18th century craftsman would do a procedure w/the tools he had. Once you "get the hang of it" , then if you feel comfortable w/the task , the application of power tools is good , so you don't draw the process out to the point the project seems never ending and you loose interest.
One indispensable tool is one of those hand electric drill motors w/the bubble level in it. This goes w/ a way to hold the work straight and level. Good enough drilling accuracy to match anything used in the 18th century. On a flat carpeted table , a couple 25 lb. lead shot bags will clamp a gun in any position for engraving or carving. Again , don't over think this stuff.................oldwood

I got the plans! Thank you!
Going to build it soon. I'll post pictures when I do.

Back