• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back Action Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morelic55

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked this up last week, I think I can make it shoot. 1" barrel, 40 cal. The only markings on it are LONDON on the lockplate. Any Ideas on age?

10984047_793913300658586_4565603283047379353_n_zpsqwgqy7fv.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Full%20Length%20Shot_zpszx0cblxt.jpg
[/URL][/img]

About 1840 to 1870 covers the time percussion back action locks were in favor.

I can't quite make out the carved initials but it might be DB?

Rifles were often positioned upside down when they were hung on the wall.

That is the patchbox, not initials.....

Zonie said:
About 1840 to 1870 covers the time percussion back action locks were in favor.

I can't quite make out the carved initials but it might be DB?

Rifles were often positioned upside down when they were hung on the wall.

Zonie is right with the time period for back-action locks. But because the rifle has a full patch-box, I think it is in the earlier part of that time period. From what I see from here, it looks like a style of patch-box that was used on occasion in New York. Later in the period, cap-boxes were more common. Is the trigger brass?
It's a nice rifle; looks like it hasn't been incorrectly cleaned and had the finish and patina destroyed.

The trigger is iron. And I have just started to work on it. The Tang is gone just where the screw goes thru. A couple of cracks in the stock that I have addressed and the patchbox latch pin is missing. I figure since there are no other markings on it that I will clean it up and make it shoot. I have a breachplug on the way and the bore is really clean. Her is a pic of where the guy found it.

As%20Found%20In%20The%20Rafters_zpsli2qdtcp.jpg

Now THAT is an awesome picture! :thumbsup:

Really hope you get it back up and running.

Look at that Checkering! :thumbsup:

Looks positively fantastic compared to the initial pictures and i have to say i'm hopeful for your initial vision of you firing her off again.

Any idea of the story behind the gun or for about how long it sat up on those rafters?

Great job! You got most or all of the grunge off the iron parts, but still retained some patina. How did you clean the iron?

No history except that the house that it came out of was built in the 1880's. The pic was taken just where it was found in the basement ceiling.

Well I was lucky on the lock, just a little elbow grease with 0000 steel wool. The barrel was a different story, I had to take it down to the white. I plum browned it leaving some of the dark highlights in the original metal. I also just cleaned the brass just enough to leave a brown patina on most of it, not real shiny all over. Hope to get the rest of the parts by this weekend to finish it up. Any Idea on the value when I'm done?

Any Idea on the value when I'm done?

A lot less now than when you started.
Since this sub forum deals with antiques, Your restoration is an example of what not to do.

Plum Brown, That stuff is for CVAs. :shake:

I know the market is not strong for late percussion back action rifles and guns, but that rifle IMHO was "above average". Now it's just another antique that suffered from a well meaning but poorly done amateur restoration that has taken a lot of it's history away. So as a collectable value is significantly reduced.

Looks to me like you had two choices, leave it a rusty wall hanger of questionable value or do what you did to bring it back into service and get some actual enjoyment out of it.

Guns like yours are made to be used, now go kill a deer with it. Keeping it in attic find condition wouldn't make sense to me either. Slicking it up, working up a load for it, and proudly carrying it to the woods would make sense to me.

Now, if it was an older rifle of any historical significance that would be different.

Well thanks, I'm not a collector or a pro restoration authority. Like I said if it would of had a name or proof marks on it I would of considered a different route to take on it.

Now, if it was an older rifle of any historical significance that would be different.

The thing is Eric, it very well could be. Not too long ago southern longrifles were considered pretty much junk. Times have changed and now those rifles and guns are appreciated and studied down to the last detail.

I hate to be the jerk of the thread, I'm really not that disagreeable.

I'm all for restoring some guns to shooting condition. Honestly a rifle like that is a very good candidate to bring back as a shooter. In my opinion he went too far when he stripped the barrel. I also think the wood and hardware was overly cleaned.

My opinion is, with care he could have had a shooter without compromising as much originality. There are proper methods to clean these old rifles and still preserve the originality.

I also think he should have researched this rifle more before jumping into a restoration/ refinish.

Most back action rifles are, well, just ugly. This one has good lines and the pierced patchbox set it above most IMHO.
Those English locks are commonly found on shotguns and I had one with dolphin hammers. If you look the hammer, although well done does not quite match the engraving of the lock. Possibly this was an American build with a English lock or the hammer may have been replaced by a very competent smith.

morelic55, You may be able to preserve the original plug. The tang likely can be repaired. This may be the best course of action because the plug threads may be obsolete. I would strongly suggest sending the barrel to someone like Bobby Hoyt or at least getting advice from a reputable BP gunsmith who restores antiques.

morelic55, You may be able to preserve the original plug. The tang likely can be repaired. This may be the best course of action because the plug threads may be obsolete. I would strongly suggest sending the barrel to someone like Bobby Hoyt or at least getting advice from a reputable BP gunsmith who restores antiques.

Thanks for the advise, if the threads do not match, I will likely fix the original tang. As for research, I did do some on it and came up with little to nothing as there were very few examples to be found on the back action type rifles.

Well what an awesome find, like it was purposefully placed up in that ceiling and covered up..neat. Was that a crosscut saw up there with it? Any other treasures? :grin:

I look forward to hearing of the successful repair and that its safely making smoke again. :thumbsup:

Back