• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back-action cap locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A rifle that would require the use of a back action cap lock is under consideration for my next project.

I have read discussions about back action locks that go back and forth about how difficult they are to get aligned for proper hammer/nipple contact; how they weaken the wrist which, in turn, increases the probability of cracks in the stock and possibly breaking the stock at the wrist. And there are notations of the lock breaking its mainspring if the lock isn't installed "just so." ( I'd suspect that could happen to any lock, but it seemed to be a noteworthy argument.)

On the other hand, there are those that "poo-poo" the above and are fond of the back-action lock because of it's speed and reliability, etc., etc.

This would be my first project of this nature, and I am curious as to what to expect... Any comments ( +/-) from those that have built, used or maintained rifles with back-action locks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ppb

Like this? This is my ancestor's 40 caliber from the 1840's. It's held together pretty well. You can also do a search for Joe Meek's rifle, Old Sally.

IMG_4306.JPG

When you get the barrel situated in your stock blank, ( this won’t work with a pre carve) and with the patent breech or drum installed, plane the lock side of your stock down so the hammer will be in the same plane as the nipple. Make a small doughnut that fits over the nipple, tightly, and turn the outside of the doughnut so it fits inside the hammer nose. That keeps it square on the nipple. Now, with the hammer snug to the nipple and FLAT on the stock, either trace with a sharp pencil or scribe, the inside of the square tumbler hole. Or you can make a square punch that fits the tumbler hole. Mark it, then carefully line up the lock plate, using the center of the square hole you just marked. One more thing- mark on the lock plate WHERE the hammer is at rest . There will be some room from half cock to when the tumbler rests on the bridle at full rest( all the way down) you need to see to it the hammer will NOT stop short of hitting the nipple! Just think it out, it will be ok.

Back