• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

AZWINS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.

Since NMLRA dropped it I have heard too many negative things to go.

I won't be going due to scheduling conflicts. I've never been but haven't heard any negatives. It may be the only large muzzle loader shoot left in the West. I've heard that they need at least 100 shooters to break even and keep the match going and that if it closes down all the big shoots will be back East. This is all second hand info so I can't vouch for it.

Know 3 folks who have been going and all 3 said they will not be returning this year. All 3 said scoring has been a mess each year.

The NMLRA did said they would start holding some shoots west of the Big River, but they also have not scheduled them.

A friend has been several times and has positive things to say. I'm hoping to hear from attendees so if members here go, please get in touch here or by PM.

Went to a shoot at Ben Avery waaaay back in 70s. My wife won one category. Set up our TP and had fun. Don't remember if it was called by same name as now .. but we had a great time. Polecat OOOOps wrong location. We were North of Yuma. Apologies for misinformation.

Would not put the Hawken Classic as a shoot. Shoots they referenced were rifle, pistol and trap.

I have been going, off and on, since 2002, That was back in the day of the NMLRA, they dropped out and AZWINS took ther place. I believe it has been cancelled in the past due to Covid.
It used to be one of the best places to buy Black Powder and other muzzle loading item. Many traders stopped coming due to Wind issues, I remember about 5 / 6 years ago many tents and flys were torn away.
At least they are trying to keep the evnt alive

Back in the NMLRA days it was a good shoot. Was there for a couple of the wind years. Helped tip Curtis pick up his inventory one year when the tent went down.

I went to traders row at a big black powder event at Ben Avery back in 96/97 ish.

Found some more traditional sights for my Lyman GPR.

Back