• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

authentic caps???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For display, are there caps (#11) available that are more "authentic" than others? What were original c1860s like? Color? Material? Lacking originals, what would museums prefer?
Then again who would know the difference, I suppose?

Antique caps vary about as much as modern ones do. I guess I would consider RWS caps to look a little "traditional". Probably wouldn't use CCI's that are stamped "CCI" on the tops.

For display, are there caps (#11) available that are more "authentic" than others? What were original c1860s like? Color? Material? Lacking originals, what would museums prefer?
Then again who would know the difference, I suppose?
Are you planning to display a cap lock pistol with non functioning caps so the display has the appearance of being loaded?

I would prefer that my displays have the appearance of being unloaded. I did use Ampco (brass colored) caps so my Navy Reb (brass framed) revolver might appear to be capped, but it is quickly apparent that there are no caps on the displayed revolver.

What I'm planning is to display my "new" Philadelphia Derringer , uncapped, with balls, patches, and caps. A bullet starter will also be shown as well as a card telling the account of the assassination of President Lincoln by Booth.
Pretty much everything will be shown except powder. Thanks, more replies welcome.

Based on being a separate part of the display, then @Flintfan69 's suggestion is good. Next, the problem would be finding an antique can. Probably a generic cap container such as offered by Ted Cash. I have a cap container turned from ebony wood.

Actually, after I get my gun, hopefully today, I am going to modify a nice wooden cigar box/humidor to hold and display the pistol and related stuff. The box will be lined with blue felt material and there will be open compartments for the other stuff. I have a nice unfinished wooden cabinet/drawer knob that I plan to make the ball starter/ramrod from, finished to match the pistol and box. I will post pics.

20200625_170623.jpg

The gun came today, thanks Griz.

Back