• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin and Halleck Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up an austin and halleck in like new condition yesterday for next to nothing. First traditional muzzleloader. I understand it to be the mountain rifle with the 1/28 twist, percussion, and .50 cal. Ill post pictures today after work but had a few questions about getting it shooting. In your experience, what does this rifle like? What conical over what charge of what powder is going to get me shooting accurately for 100 yard big game hunting? Are there standby bullets and loads that shoot well with that twist? Finally, how does this model shoot PRB's? I know that twist is difficult, but is there a recipe that I would have a chance at getting good accuracy with? Sorry for all the questions. Im excited about this rifle and really want to find a good load without buying out the local store's inventory of bullets and powders.

Picked up an austin and halleck in like new condition yesterday for next to nothing. First traditional muzzleloader. I understand it to be the mountain rifle with the 1/28 twist, percussion, and .50 cal. Ill post pictures today after work but had a few questions about getting it shooting. In your experience, what does this rifle like? What conical over what charge of what powder is going to get me shooting accurately for 100 yard big game hunting? Are there standby bullets and loads that shoot well with that twist? Finally, how does this model shoot PRB's? I know that twist is difficult, but is there a recipe that I would have a chance at getting good accuracy with? Sorry for all the questions. Im excited about this rifle and really want to find a good load without buying out the local store's inventory of bullets and powders.
I have my Austin & Halleck mountain rifle in my lap as I write this. It is clearly marked 1:66" [on the left top flat just behind the rear sight] which indicates 1 turn in 66 inches. I have not heard of one marked 1:28" If that is so it will not shoot round balls very well. Are you sure it is 1:28? Mine is beautifully built. I have read that some were not so well done. I think mine is the prettiest of my eight gun collection of so-called mountain rifles including a Uberti Santa Fe. As to shooting at 100 yards … hmmm … I have never shot, or shot at, a deer over 60 yards with a muzzle loader. You can nearly always get closer than that, I am 88 years old and have hunted with muzzle loaders, all over the West, for more than 60 years. Just my 2cents worth. Polecat BTW: enjoy your rifle … glad you made a great buy. I think that's a great gun. Coueswhitetail. My bad; I just did some research and found that they did make it with a 1:28" twist. I would expect it to do better with elongated bullets. But try it with light loads [maybe 65 grains] of powder behind a.490 ball. Might fool me … I certainly am not an expert.

Last edited:
I have my Austin & Halleck mountain rifle in my lap as I write this.

It is clearly marked 1:66" [on the left top flat just behind the rear sight] which indicates 1 turn in 66 inches.

I have not heard of one marked 1:28"

The .50cal A&H Mountain Rifle was available in flintlock or percussion, with the barrels marked for either a 1:28" or a 1:66" twist .

IDK about the twists used in the identical Mountain Rifle made by Traditions after A&H closed their doors & bought out the name rights & machinery.

I've had A&H Mountain Rifles in both twists, and since I'm primarily a hunter, I prefer to use conicals - ergo I favor the 1"28" twist.

They are beautiful (IMO) guns, but heavy for me...……… I'm thinking of shortening the bbl from the issue 32" length.

The .50cal A&H Mountain Rifle was available in flintlock or percussion, with the barrels marked for either a 1:28" or a 1:66" twist .

IDK about the twists used in the identical Mountain Rifle made by Traditions after A&H closed their doors & bought out the name rights & machinery.

I've had A&H Mountain Rifles in both twists, and since I'm primarily a hunter, I prefer to use conicals - ergo I favor the 1"28" twist.

They are beautiful (IMO) guns, but heavy for me...……… I'm thinking of shortening the bbl from the issue 32" length.
Please note my addition/edit to my reply. I just did not know about the 1:28 model but found it by a it of research. Sounds like best of both worlds. Dale :thumb:

Back